Connecting to a remote server

• OK, the firewall has been eliminated as the root problem since another system within the firewall has the same issue. Are there any applicable error messages in the event logs (Application and System)?

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@sqlservercentral.com

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Hello, I have the same problem and still didn't find the answer, followed up on listening 1433 port, firewall ect etc still doesn't work, pleez help !

• Hello, I have the same problem and still didn't find the answer, followed up on listening 1433 port, firewall ect etc still doesn't work, pleez help !

• Try adding this IP and host name to your hosts file hosts.sam

This has cleared up similar problems for me before.

• quote:

Try adding this IP and host name to your hosts file hosts.sam

This has cleared up similar problems for me before.

Where can we find this hosts.sam file ? can you send me an example ? In which directory should this file be placed if not already existing ? (it doesn't exist on my computer for sure)

• I usually just do a search for hosts or hosts.sam on the client machine I am trying to connect from. It is in the winnt directory somewhere, in windows directory if you are not on 2k pro.

It explains how to add the ip/hostname pair. Pretty easy to do.

• We had a similar problem. I spent over 100 hours at it, before the network guys figured it out. I don't quite understand it all, but here it is, in case it helps anyone. (The IP addresses have been changed):

"nbtstat -a" revealed that ls-imrie was at 111.11.5.81. I've changed the dns entries for ls-imrie to point to the 5.81 address. 4.26 was issued to the ips-backup2k machine (by Ziklag2 the dhcp server). With the ls-imrie settings changed to 5.81, I was able to register ls-imrie to my Dallas SQL servers group

Steve

Steve Miller

• I've spend around 50 hours on it now, and i still don't get it ! I will try to do the DNS trick and will let you know

• where did you alter these 'DNS entries' ?

gr deejay

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply