Connecting SQL servers on the same or different domains with no delegation or linking

• I have been asked to do connect 2 SQL servers that are on different domains (or the same one) without using any delegation or linked servers. I will use Srvr1 and Srvr2 as names.

Srvr1 should only grant read only access to a table in a dB

Srvr2 should be able to query the dB and table from Srvr1

I do have a VPN tunnel so the data would be secure between the 2 servers on different domains.

The servers on the same domain have different service accounts.

I have tried only on the same domain so far. The other domain server would be at a separate company.

I did grant the Srvr2 service account datareader access to Srvr1 dB and it did not work.

In configuration manager I changed the IP1 TCP\IP "IP Addresses" Active=Yes and Enabled=Yes and this didn't help.

Any help or ideas would be very welcome. At this point I'm not sure what could work.

• OPENROWSET (Transact-SQL)

SELECT a.*

FROM OPENROWSET('SQLNCLI', 'Server=Seattle1;Trusted_Connection=yes;',

'SELECT GroupName, Name, DepartmentID

FROM AdventureWorks2012.HumanResources.Department

ORDER BY GroupName, Name') AS a;

Technet link

• You could use OPENROWSET with SQL authentication. Although I think it would be better to set up a linked server and a login mapping for the linked server, as this makes it possible to restrict who can access the remote server on the source. Hm, well, if they are able to crack the username and the password they could log into the remote server from anywhere.

[font="Times New Roman"]Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se[/font]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply