Connect to remote SQL 2005 db

• My host recently moved my sites and dbs across to a new Win 2003 Server and SQL 2005 server. I can no longer use EM to connect to my dbs. I have upgraded my home pc to SQL 2005 Standard Edition which comes with SQL Server Management Studio.

Couple of queries as I have exhausted google and books online:

1. My previous Server Alises appear in SQL Server Configuration Manager but when I open up SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) I can't seem to call those aliases in any of the connection property dialogs.

2. In SSMS if I try to connect to one of my host's dbs by specifying the dns or IP address and login credentials I get the following error:

TITLE: Connect to Server

------------------------------

Cannot connect to 203.84.233.54.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=53&LinkId=20476

I've checked with my host and they say there are no settings that need changing at their end. My static IP address is allowed through their firewall.

Anyone got any ideas?

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Have they provided you an instance name? e.g. 203.84.233.54\SQL2005

I was just able to generate your error trying to connect a local instance by using (local) instead of (local)\instanceName

Here's the message I generated...

TITLE: Connect to Server

Cannot connect to (local).

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=2&LinkId=20476

• Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what you mean by instance name. The error I reported was when I tried to connect to my host's SQL 2005 server via IP Address.

• SQL Server will allow you to run multiple database servers on the same windows server. when you do this, each database server on the windows server must have a unique name.

If you try to connect using the IP address of the windows server but do not include the name of the database server, you will get the error you posted.

So,

203.84.233.54 is the name of your host's windows server.

they may have more than one instance of sql server running on that server:

sqlServer0 and sqlServer1

in order to connect to one of these sql servers, you must connect by using the windows server, a backslash, and the sql server instance name.

203.84.233.54\sqlServer1

I would contact the hosting service and find out if you need to include an instance name with the IP address

• Thanks Ken, I'll refer it back to my host.

• Thanks for your help guys my Host was able to tweak some un-named setting and I was suddenly able to access the dbs.

• I ran into the same problem in the same setup and had it fixed by -

1. enable all protocols but VIA for both Server and Client Network in SQL Server Configuration Manager.

2. change the default setting of Remote Connections from 'Using both Named Pipes and TCP/IP' to 'Using Named Pipes only' in SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration.

• I have a server with 1 SQL Server instances (SQL 2000 and SQL 2005).

I can not connect to SQL 2005 but can connect to SQL 2000 from outside my network.

I've checked all the settings you mentioned:Remote Connections Allowed, all protocols enabled,TCP/IP and Named Pipes connections allowed.

The thing I suspect is the sql server name as it's xxx.xxx.xx.xx/sqlserver2

while the SQL 2000 name is xxx.xxx.xx.xx only. Do you connect currently to your server with a backslash in the name?Can you tell me if I'm missing something?

• Refer the below link, this may help you

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/showpost.aspx?postid=2363979&siteid=1

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply