connect to an instance of sql server 2000 on server

• hi everyone!

i have just installed sql enterprise 2000 on my server (win2k) and i am trying to access an instance of sql from a workstation on the same network. on the server the security settings are set to windows authentication. when prompted to login i enter the correct username and password. but it rejects it everytime. any advice on this issue is appreciated. thanks!

• While working with nt aouthentication you don't need to enter user name or password. When connecting to the instance just choose "Windows Authentication".

Zubeyir

• Pls check your workstation login have access to  sql server. If not you have to assign your workstation login to SQL user name( using EM->Security) and check your  DB access of the newly added user.

Regards

• There are two types of login id's in SQL Server - Windows login id's and SQL Server login id's.

A Windows login id is mapped to an operating system user (often a domain account). Since the user has been authenticated by Windows already (they successfully logged into their workstation), nothing further is required of the user.

A SQL Server login id is managed exclusively by SQL Server - the user must provide a login id and password to gain access to SQL Server. This is a less secure method of accessing SQL Server, but in some cases more convenient. To use this method, the server security mode must be set to mixed mode (in Enterprise Manager, right click on the server name, select properties, then the Security tab. Set the Security mode to "SQL Server and Windows").

If your SQL Server authentication is set to Windows Only, then all of your users must be added as

• As a follow up, when your are creating user id's in SQL Server, you are required to select the authentication mode.

If the server is setup for Windows Only, then each user id must be created to use Windows Authentication.

If the server is setup as mixed mode, then either method is acceptable. However, once a user id is created, the Authentication mode cannot be change - you would have to delete it and then recreate it.

So make sure the type of user id matches the server mode and the access method used by your application to connect to SQL Server.

• As an addition to mkeast's excellent comments. If you set your instance to Windows Authenication Only, the SA account no longer works.

-SQLBill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply