Connecion Issue's to a SQL Instance

• Hi,

Recently we started experiencing connection issues for a specific Instance on a server where multiple instances are present. This is a development server.
     On the machine itself when using SSMS we connect immediately to all instances. When accessing SQL from another server using SSMS we have 1 instance (from 7) which takes >30 seconds to connect. All other instances connect almost immediately. 

Because of these issue the app server constantly loses its connection and wont reconnect because the connection request timed out.

TCP/IP's are configured correctly ect.

Anybody here that can point me in the right direction to start resolving this issue ?

Thanks

• i would guess that although you said the TCP is set up correctly, it sounds to me like one instance is using a dynamic port for connections, and the other six have been correctly set to use a specific static port.
    is the SQL Browser service running on the multi instance host, or is the service disabled?
    after that i would check the TCP IP settings for each instance,especially if the server has multiple nic cards, it might be that one IP is not set correctly,and that it fails to connect via one nic, but works on the other.; so make sure IP-ALL has a specific static port?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• @lowell

Thanks for the reply
    I used 
    SELECT 'TCP Port' as tcpPort, value_name, value_data
    FROM sys.dm_server_registry
    WHERE registry_key LIKE '%IPALL' AND value_name in ('TcpPort','TcpDynamicPorts')

to see if an instance uses dynamic and all returned a Fixed port. SQL Browser is running.

• I had a similar issue in the past and found warnings/error in the event logs. From there, I googled and found a known issue and a registry key.

Did you check the event logs ?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply