Confused execution plan

• Edward-445599 (5/11/2011)

--table stats

IX_TableA_idMay 11 2011 12:29AM314984882425471930.801755111.44844YES

The entire statistics output please. Dump it into a spreadsheet and attach it if it's too large.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • sorry here you go

• Thanks, I'll take a look later.

There's something wrong with the cardinality estimation, on SP4 the estimated rows are in the hundreds of thousands, while actual rows is 1. This mis-estimate causes the optimiser to think that scanning the primary key index and doing a join is better than doing key lookups.

Are you interested in root cause or a fix?

If a fix, add the primary key column as an include in the index on ID. It's not included automatically, as it's not the clustered index. That will fix this completely.

If I may ask, why is a numeric ID being stored as a varchar(15)? That may well be exasperating the problem. If it's always numeric, the column should be int or bigint.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • wow thanks so much very interesting, I will look into that more deeply, I was just lucky to pick that query up my fear is that other queries are being affected.

This is a fairly old but huge DB (2TB). A total rewrite is planed but for now we are only doing basic maintenance

• GilaMonster (5/11/2011)

Thanks, I'll take a look later.

There's something wrong with the cardinality estimation, on SP4 the estimated rows are in the hundreds of thousands, while actual rows is 1. This mis-estimate causes the optimiser to think that scanning the primary key index and doing a join is better than doing key lookups.

Hi just been trying to get some literature on this, I am unable to find stuff do you have any links for further reading?

• There used to be a free download version of this but I can't find it atm...

http://www.red-gate.com/our-company/about/book-store/sql-server-execution-plans

• Ninja's_RGR'us (5/11/2011)

There used to be a free download version of this but I can't find it atm...

http://www.red-gate.com/our-company/about/book-store/sql-server-execution-plans

thanks looks like a good book I might get it , but I meant more information specificly to the problem with SP4

"There's something wrong with the cardinality estimation, on SP4 the estimated rows are in the hundreds of thousands, while actual rows is 1. This mis-estimate causes the optimiser to think that scanning the primary key index and doing a join is better than doing key lookups."

• I don't know that any book has ever been written to adress only or such a specific issue.

The book I had in mind with grant was just solid info about anything optimisation and plans. That should get you enough knowledge to fill in the gaps and google the rest.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply