Configuration option & Time outs

• A database on our server is experience timeouts. We thought this could be down to locks on the objects, but after running sp_lock confirmed that there weren’t any locks. However, the timeouts still persisted. The timeouts disappeared on their own accord. After checking the server log I saw these two entries:

Configuration option 'show advanced options' changed from 1 to 1. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.

Error: 15457, Severity: 0, State: 1

What do they mean? Could it be causing the timeouts?

I’ve looked on BOL, but it is about as useful as a snowplough in a desert.

• This really is a warning or information statement ONLY indicating that somone

changed the sp_configure option

There really is not any ERROR encountered

You can run RECONIFUGRE in Query Analyzer.

If you are still experiencing timeouts you need to do more testing. Check specific SQL statement to see if they are taking a long time. You may want to check the CPU usage of the server; look for other jobs running (backups etc) Is there anything else running on the database server - file servers; application servers; IIS etc?

Francis

• How is then that I create a table and try to insert in a separate process does it timeout?

WE use access projects to access the databases. Could this be executing the reconfigure command? Why does it attempt to change the value even though it is already the value it wants to change it to?

No other processes are running on the system.

• First, SQL profiler.

• Have used profiler and suspect that access projects on certain occasions runs the reconfigure command. There is nothing in the code that we have written that even touches upon any configuration commands.

Why does it do it?

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Why does it change it to the same value?

Can the reconfigure statement cause timeouts?

How do i stop it?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply