Configuration option 'allow updates' changed from 0 to 1. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install

• I see the message below everywhere in the sql error log file. They appeared only on last Monday. What is this about?

Configuration option 'allow updates' changed from 0 to 1. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.

Configuration option 'allow updates' changed from 1 to 0. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.

or

Configuration option 'allow updates' changed from 0 to 0. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.

• Someone's playing with updating the system tables. Very bad thing to do, easy to break stuff and not notice for log periods of time.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • chulheekim (5/4/2011)

I see the message below everywhere in the sql error log file. They appeared only on last Monday. What is this about?

Configuration option 'allow updates' changed from 0 to 1. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.

Configuration option 'allow updates' changed from 1 to 0. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.

or

Configuration option 'allow updates' changed from 0 to 0. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.

These messages demostrates that somebody has tried to change the sql sever configuration setting 'Allow updates'.

0 to 1 Represents that it was enabled by somebody or some job on your Instance.

1 to 0 represents that it was disabled by somebody.

Enabling this option on sql server allows you to make changes in system Tables. It is generally a bad practice to play with system objects but in some cases it was the only solution in sql server.

1 such case i remember is changes the sysdatabases tables in case of database corruption.

Regards..

• I would suggest you take a thorough look at the SQL Server Surface Area Configuration for Features to see if any changes were made.

Chris Powell

George: You're kidding.
    Elroy: Nope.
    George: Then lie to me and say you're kidding.

• Meet George Jetson (5/6/2011)

I would suggest you take a thorough look at the SQL Server Surface Area Configuration for Features to see if any changes were made.

SQL 2000 doesn't have a surface area config.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks Gail, I forgot what forum I was in.

To see what changes may have been made, run sp_configure

Chris Powell

George: You're kidding.
    Elroy: Nope.
    George: Then lie to me and say you're kidding.

• All those messages in the log file was about me trying to fix the broken linked server. I was changing the properties on that day. Thank you guys.

• You see

When you apply a service pack

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply