Configuration for terabyte database

• Hi everyone,

Our organization is planning to have a database of more than 2 terabytes in size. Since I have not worked with databases more than some 50 GB I have no idea about the hardware/ software requirements for it. Can anyone help me to find recommended configuration for the same. It will basically be OLAP database with few users.

Thanx in advance

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Roshan Joe

Jeff Moden -Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• If I may suggest, get a consultant in to help spec hardware and advise you on managing a DB that size. Make sure it's someone with experience on databases that size.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Of course we are getting professional help in this matter, meanwhile I was trying to gather some information. I could not find much over the internet. Anyways thanx.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Roshan Joe

Jeff Moden -Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I would be looking at using a storage array for that size. However Before I could comment on architecture I would need to know what sort of data it is, what sort of transactions will be going on, what is the required throughput, what sort of queries will be running against the data etc. etc.

In short, I would need a requirements document for the application before I could begin to design a system that would meet the requirements. Don't laugh, I have see too many systems where the design was a "solution" to a problem that was never defined at the beginning.

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply