Conditional Join

• I have a SP with input parameter @Flag. Like to JOIN a table only when @Flag = True

I like to implement something like this.

SELECT *

FROM Table A

INNER JOIN

Case @Flag

WHEN TRUE

THEN Table B

END

ON ......

I know I could do it alternatively by some IF condition in top level .. but due to some other reason I don't like to do it..

I have tried with something below ..

SELECT *

FROM Table A

INNER JOIN Table B

ON ......

AND @Flag = True

It worked fine but from performance point of view what I understand here JOIN will happen first then Where clause will filter the data. Execution Plan also shows operations related to Table B. Although I can see @Flag = False is executing faster than @Flag=True. Can some one guide me for this case JOIN will at all happen or not ? How good is this code from performance point of view? Is there is any better way out to implement these ..

• You can do it but the performance is often really poor. Instead, LEFT JOIN both tables, and use conditional processing of the output (in the SELECT) to return the data you want.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• You can simply do it using your flag variable

Example

If @strFlag = 'Not Join'

BEGIN

Select * from FirstTable

END

If @strFlag = Join'

BEGIN

Select * from FirstTable

Left Join SecondTable

On a.column = b.column

END

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply