Condition in Where clause query

• pwalter83 (3/9/2011)

Thanks a lot for your answers but would it be possible to convert your solution in a way that they can be included in the WHERE clause section ?

Why?

I picked a temp table and a join to avoid having to process the split and distinct more than once.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • David Burrows (3/9/2011)

Sorry my bad the inner CASE is missing END, try this

AND CASE WHEN MG_BOOKING.TRADE_CD IS NULL THEN

CASE WHEN BA.TRADE IN (select distinct Item From dbo.Split(@trades,',')) THEN 1 ELSE 0 END

WHEN BA.TRADE IS NULL THEN 0

WHEN MG_BOOKING.TRADE IN (select distinct Item From dbo.Split(@trades,','))

AND BA.TRADE IN (select distinct Item From dbo.Split(@trades,',')) THEN 1

ELSE 0

END = 1

Hi David,

Thanks a lot for your reply.Your solution worked wonders !!! However, can you please tell what do 0 and 1 denote in this context ? I know its a stupid question but I am very new to SQL and still on a learning curve.

Thanks and Regards,

Paul

• Nothing specific. You could replace all the 1s with 'a' and the 0s with 'b' and get the same result. It's just a trick for evaluations case conditions.

What he's doing is setting the results of the case expression to either 0 or 1 based on the logic within, then comparing that with 1 to get the results he wants.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (3/10/2011)

Nothing specific. You could replace all the 1s with 'a' and the 0s with 'b' and get the same result. It's just a trick for evaluations case conditions.

What he's doing is setting the results of the case expression to either 0 or 1 based on the logic within, then comparing that with 1 to get the results he wants.

Thanks a lot for your explanation, Gail. I was wondering can the same result be achieved without using any 1 and 0 (or for that matter a and b). Or is it mandatory to use them ?

• Why?

There probably are, but they'll be hectically complex, hard to read, likely bad performing and hard to maintain. David wrote it that way for a reason. It's a reasonably common pattern.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply