Concurrency Issue

• From a long time i have an interesting question in my mind.Would you people like to clear me here in this case.

Lets say we have one database. Two applications are using the same database.mean App1 and App2.

Lets say here is a table named Table1.At the same time from different locations both applications(consider applications as operators) wants to edit/Update record num 5.How we will have a check that to control ans synchronize both application.

For example record 5 have amount 10.if this is not syncronized one operator will see 10 and other wll see 15(when one update to 15).

Hope you got it?

• it depends what isolation level you have set on the connection, by default its read committed.

if we take this as an example

i open two SSMS query windows, so this acts like the two apps

in one window i do

BEGIN TRAN

UPDATE table SET columnA = 10 WHERE columnB = 'A'

in the other window i do

SELECT columnA FROM table WHERE columnB = 'A'

The select wont return any values due to locks

So I now go back to first update and do

COMMIT TRAN

This tells SQL that the update to 10 has finished and any other process can now access the data

So you should see that the SELECT now has a result set.

If you dont use READ COMMITTED and you use a different isolation level the behavour changes.

I would read up on isolation levels.

• @anthony-2:

if you do not mind i want to elaborate a little bit more.....explain me

what are isolation levels and how they will be treated?

give me a complete example so that i can adopt in future in writing select/update/delete etc queries.

can we make our data more concurent on sqlser side?

• Engr Shafiq (2/23/2012)

@Anthony:

if you do not mind i want to elaborate a little bit more.....explain me

give me a complete example so that i can adopt in future in writing select/update/delete etc queries.

A quick google search or using BOL will tell you all about isolation levels and the differences between each of them

give me a complete example so that i can adopt in future in writing select/update/delete etc queries

Pick an isolation level, stick with it through out your development and learn the way in which it affects DML. If your using SSMS only then you will default to READ COMMITTED unless you override it by using SET ISOLATION LEVEL ###############

Concurrancy is dependent on isolation level, as above, pick one, read about the SQL locking routines which are there to provide you with concurancy.

In your example, if you are using READ COMMITTED as default and have not changed it, then it depends on which app access the record first

If app1 does the update first it will update to 10, if app2 does the update first it will update to 15, but you should always be doing a select before updating in your apps, so the user of app1 can see the value before choosing to update it.

E.g 1

App1 updates first

App1 Does SELECT notices its 5

App1 Does Update to 10

App2 Does SELECT gets no results due to read committed isolation level

App1 Completes Update

App2 now gets results and notices its 10

App2 Does Update to 15

App2 completes update

App1 and App2 will see the record is 15

E.g 2

App2 updates first

App2 Does SELECT notices its 5

App2 Does Update to 15

App1 Does SELECT gets no results due to read committed isolation level

App2 Completes the update

App1 now gets results and notices is 15

App1 DOESN'T need to update to 10

App1 and App2 will see the record as 15

• The question what isolation level to use depends on the expected result for a given scenario.

In your case:

What should App2 return as amount while App1 update the amount column from 10 to 15 for row with id=5 ?

a) 15

b) 10

c) either one, it doesn't matter

d) it would also be ok, if App2 wouldn't return id=5 at all

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• I am writing sqlserver queries from a long time....can you help me how to write insert/update and delete queries in a good and professional way?

• Engr Shafiq (2/27/2012)

I am writing sqlserver queries from a long time....can you help me how to write insert/update and delete queries in a good and professional way?

New question - new thread, please.

Don't hijack other threads with semi- or non-related questions.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply