Concatenating results from two result sets

• Guys hi,

i have the following problem. I have two databases, that contain the same records. The databases are about candidates for exams. The first database contains more candidates that the second as it is updated , but the second contains [some times] more info about candidates.

From both databases i want to retrieve the results and then combine them in order to fill as many [complete] data as possible. For example, from the first database i get the following record.

userlogin            address1             address2           telephone         zipcode

aadamx02          123 avenue       New york               07802070707  

from the second database i get the same record only i dont have the telephone but the zipcode instead. For example.

userlogin            address1             address2           telephone         zipcode

aadamx02          123 avenue       New york                                         co34sq

Obviously when i join the queries results [union all] i get two records for each userlogin. However i want to get only ONE record containing the complete address info. That is i want the following

aadamx02          123 avenue       New york              07802070707      co34sq  

how can i do this? any help?

Thank you for your time reading this. Your help would be valuable!

"If you want to get to the top, prepare to kiss alot of bottom"

• Hi Dionisis,

Something like this perhaps?

--This SQL script is safe to run

declare @t1 table (userlogin varchar(30), address1 varchar(30), address2 varchar(30), telephone varchar(30), zipcode varchar(30))

insert @t1 values ('aadamx02', '123 avenue', 'New york', '07802070707', null)

insert @t1 values ('a', null, null, '07802078888', null)

declare @t2 table (userlogin varchar(30), address1 varchar(30), address2 varchar(30), telephone varchar(30), zipcode varchar(30))

insert @t2 values ('aadamx02', '123 avenue', 'New york', null, 'co34sq')

insert @t2 values ('a', '42 avenue', 'New york', '043733233', null)

select

isnull(a.userlogin, b.userlogin) as userlogin,

isnull(a.address1, b.address1) as address1,

isnull(a.address2, b.address2) as address2,

isnull(a.telephone, b.telephone) as telephone,

isnull(a.zipcode, b.zipcode) as zipcode

from

@t1 a

full outer join @t2 b on a.userlogin = b.userlogin

Ryan Randall

Solutions are easy. Understanding the problem, now, that's the hard part.

• Thanks Ryan,

you gave me a good idea to think about...The situation is more complicated tahn this but its a start. 🙂

any other ideas welcome..  

• I might be missing the point here, but a simple union query can do this

select * from server1.mydatabase.dbo.mytable

UNION

select * from server1.mydatabase.dbo.mytable

all the results are combined and issued as a single recordset with the duplicates removed

MVDBA

• Michael,

you are missing the point. Doing your suggestion, i get two records for the same user. This is because in one database i have all the user's info (eg telephone1) except the zipcode, and in the second database i have the same user, with no telephone data,  but WITH the zip code. The union returns two records as they are different! 🙂

Thank you for the time to answer my question 🙂

• Ah,

i see

in that case might i suggest

select a.userlogin, isnull(a.address1,b.address1),isnull(a.zipcode,b.zipcode)..... from database1 a inner join database2 b on a.userlogin=b.userlogin

might be a little simpel, but it depends on having nulls in the columns and not ' '

MVDBA

• Thank you Michael, thank you Ryan.

It took one view and your suggestions, and i was succesfull.! 🙂

Cheers guys! 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply