Common Table Expression inside View

• I'm trying to create a view for my large query which contains 3 common table expressions. Below is an excerpt of what I'm trying to accomplish

create view vDimBooks as (

with Publisher as (

),

Author as (

),

Editor as (

...)

select * from Publisher

INNER JOIN Author on Publisher.ID = Author.PublisherID

INNER JOIN Editor on Editor.ID = Author.EditorID

)

However, when I try to execute this statement to create the view, I get the following error:

Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'with'. If this statement is a common table expression, an xmlnamespaces clause or a change tracking context clause, the previous statement must be terminated with a semicolon.

I understand that I need to provide a semi-colon within that whole mix, but am not sure exactly where to place it. I've tried multiple places, but still get the same error. Any ideas?

• before the with: ";with Publisher"

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• I have tried to put the semi-colon before the with Publishers, but I get an error which states "Incorrect Syntax near ';'

• Loose the first per of parentheses that surround the whole view definition (the one that starts after vDimBooks and ends the view definition. If this won’t fix it, pleas show the full view definition.

Adi

--------------------------------------------------------------
    To know how to ask questions and increase the chances of getting asnwers:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• That was the trick! Thanks Adi!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply