Combining Update Statements

• Any way we could combine the two update statements into one? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE PURC_ORDER_LINE SET USER_ORDER_QTY ='5' WHERE PART_ID = '2-520129-2' AND PURC_ORDER_ID = '2458677';

UPDATE PURC_ORDER_LINE SET USER_ORDER_QTY ='135' WHERE PART_ID = '2-520129-2' AND PURC_ORDER_ID = '8675309';

• It's not really any prettier:

UPDATE PURC_ORDER_LINE

SET USER_ORDER_QTY = CASE

WHEN PURC_ORDER_ID = '2458677' THEN '5'

WHEN PURC_ORDER_ID = '8675309' THEN '135'

ELSE USER_ORDER_QTY

END

WHERE PART_ID = '2-520129-2';

• I don't recommend dsdeming's solution since it will set all other values for column USER_ORDER_QTY to NULL that don't match the CASE condition!!

@dsdeming: you might want to change the code you posted. It's dangerous to those who just run it without proper testing!! Comment does no longer apply. Code in question has been modified.

I'd rather use

UPDATE PURC_ORDER_LINE

SET USER_ORDER_QTY =

CASE PURC_ORDER_ID

WHEN '2458677' THEN '5'

WHEN '8675309' THEN '135'

ELSE USER_ORDER_QTY

END

WHERE PART_ID = '2-520129-2'

AND (PURC_ORDER_ID = '2458677' OR PURC_ORDER_ID = '8675309');

You could leave out the second search condition (AND (PURC_ORDER_ID = '2458677' OR PURC_ORDER_ID = '8675309')) but that would lead to updates that are not required (update rows with its original value...)

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Thanks, Lutz.

That was careless of me. Any time you're using a CASE statement, it should explicitly deal with each possible case, and I obviuosly didn't.

• Thank you very much. It is greatly appreciated. Learn something new each day!

• The original post is much easier to understand. Consider someone looking at or modifying the code a year from now, and the risk of introducing bugs or errors. Simpler is better sometimes.

• homebrew01 (11/11/2009)

The original post is much easier to understand. Consider someone looking at or modifying the code a year from now, and the risk of introducing bugs or errors. Simpler is better sometimes.

But: sometimes performance counts more than to easily understand the code. 😀

The two separate updates will touch the table twice. The CASE solution just once.

So, as usual, "it depends". 😉

Side note: I don't consider the code using the CASE clause as being complicated at all...

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply