Column Order in an Index

• aha, the never-ending question about multicolumn or single column indexes!

Again, check Gail's excellent articles about indexes:

http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2010/09/14/one-wide-index-or-multiple-narrow-indexes/%5B/url%5D

Wilfred
    The best things in life are the simple things

• Wilfred van Dijk (11/23/2010)

aha, the never-ending question about multicolumn or single column indexes!

http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2010/09/14/one-wide-index-or-multiple-narrow-indexes/%5B/url%5D

Thanks for the link but I get "404 - File or directory not found."

• cengland0 (11/23/2010)

Please don't laugh at me for asking this question.

Why would you create a compound index with both last name and first name together? Why not two separate indexes where one is for last name and the other is for first name. That should handle any combination that you have in your where clause.

Because indexes don't work the way you think they do. Indexes sort off their key expression. If that expression contains two columns, the table is sorted by both. If it contains one column only, then its only sorted by that single column, period.

Without getting into too much technical detail, SQL contains an optimization called index intersection that allows two indexes to act a wee bit like one compound index. But "a wee bit" is the operative term here; the performance is not the same.

To use your firstname, lastname example. If you have a single "John Smith" in your table, a compound index will walk the tree right to that record-- all done! No scanning required. Two indexes, one on each column, will only allow the engine to find all Smiths, then find all Johns, then laboriously intersect the result result to find which ones match both criteria.

Performance takes a further hit when you want to order by multiple columns, as a single index will return the rows in proper order, whereas results from intersected indexes must be manually sorted each time.

• seems SSC adds something in front of it, copy/paste: http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2010/09/14/one-wide-index-or-multiple-narrow-indexes/

Wilfred
    The best things in life are the simple things

• "This does not mean that the index 'NonClust_Contact_Name' was not useful. It's still much better than the Clustered scan."

*WHAT* is still much better than the clustered scan? I'm confused by that last sentence.

• cengland0 (11/23/2010)

Wilfred van Dijk (11/23/2010)

http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2010/09/14/one-wide-index-or-multiple-narrow-indexes/

Wilfred messed up the forum coding (look at the url, there's sqlservercentral at the front probably due to the new line character.)

http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2010/09/14/one-wide-index-or-multiple-narrow-indexes/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Franky Leeuwerck (11/23/2010)

Previous link can be found here :

http://sqlserverpedia.com/wiki/Index_Selectivity_and_Column_Order%5B/quote%5D

The wiki article was adapted (with my permission) from my two blog posts on index column order, the one on equality that Wilfred posted and one on inequalities

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Michael Ebaya (11/23/2010)

cengland0 (11/23/2010)

Please don't laugh at me for asking this question.

Why would you create a compound index with both last name and first name together? Why not two separate indexes where one is for last name and the other is for first name. That should handle any combination that you have in your where clause.

Because indexes don't work the way you think they do. Indexes sort off their key expression. If that expression contains two columns, the table is sorted by both. If it contains one column only, then its only sorted by that single column, period.

Without getting into too much technical detail, SQL contains an optimization called index intersection that allows two indexes to act a wee bit like one compound index. But "a wee bit" is the operative term here; the performance is not the same.

To use your firstname, lastname example. If you have a single "John Smith" in your table, a compound index will walk the tree right to that record-- all done! No scanning required. Two indexes, one on each column, will only allow the engine to find all Smiths, then find all Johns, then laboriously intersect the result result to find which ones match both criteria.

Performance takes a further hit when you want to order by multiple columns, as a single index will return the rows in proper order, whereas results from intersected indexes must be manually sorted each time.

Thanks, that was an excellent explanation.

I can already see some tables where I can improve the indexes with this strategy. I have a frequently used 12 million row table that has a 16 digit number separated into two columns with 8 digits each. The developers always put both columns in their where clause and would never select on just one of them. I'm going to implement this improvement right away.

Oh, please don't ask about why the two columns are separate. I would never have designed it this way but it comes from an application that pushes the data to us each day and their SSIS package fails if we modify any of the columns. I'm even embarrassed to say that these both are VARCHAR(500) columns even knowing that a maximum of 8 numeric characters will fit. They even drop leading zeros when pushing the data to us.

• GilaMonster (11/23/2010)

cengland0 (11/23/2010)

Wilfred van Dijk (11/23/2010)

Wilfred messed up the forum coding (look at the url, there's sqlservercentral at the front probably due to the new line character.)

Great Article. I bookmarked that one as a keeper.

• Doh, I just discovered the maximum key length is 900 bytes so combining two VARCHAR(500) columns into one index results in a warning:

The maximum key length is 900 bytes. The ***indexname*** has maximum length of 1000 bytes. For some combinations of large values, the insert/update operation will fail.

• cengland0 (11/23/2010)

Doh, I just discovered the maximum key length is 900 bytes so combining two VARCHAR(500) columns into one index results in a warning:

The maximum key length is 900 bytes. The ***indexname*** has maximum length of 1000 bytes. For some combinations of large values, the insert/update operation will fail.

Surely they will allow you to redefine the columns as Char(8) or Varchar(8), won't they? You might get a warning that some data MIGHT be truncated, but if the data is all 8 characters or less, you can ignore this warning. THEN you can index the columns.

• cengland0 (11/23/2010)

Doh, I just discovered the maximum key length is 900 bytes so combining two VARCHAR(500) columns into one index results in a warning:

If you *know* there's only ever 8 characters in each column, you can ignore that warning. However if one day there are over 450 characters in each.....

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (11/23/2010)

cengland0 (11/23/2010)

If you *know* there's only ever 8 characters in each column, you can ignore that warning. However if one day there are over 450 characters in each.....

If you change the columns to Char(8) now, there won't ever be 450 characters in the column!

If the vendor sending the data says that the data has 8 digits, you can go with that. You can always update it to [Var]char(12) or [Var]char(20) or whatever, in the future, if the vendor starts sending a larger field. Or set them to Varchar(20) now and then index the two columns, and say that you're planning for future growth of the field.

• David Walker-278941 (11/23/2010)

If you change the columns to Char(8) now, there won't ever be 450 characters in the column!

If the vendor sending the data says that the data has 8 digits, you can go with that. You can always update it to [Var]char(12) or [Var]char(20) or whatever, in the future, if the vendor starts sending a larger field. Or set them to Varchar(20) now and then index the two columns, and say that you're planning for future growth of the field.

We thought of that but we have no control over the SSIS package that the vendor uses. I think it is set to fail on any warnings. As you know, if you try to insert a VARCHAR(500) from the source table into a CHAR(8), you get a truncation possible warning. That causes the package to fail and we receive no data.

As GilaMonster stated, I'm certain there are a maximum of 8 digits in each of the two columns so I should be okay.

• Well done.

One way to get SQL Server to consider an index it would otherwise exclude in preference to a table scan is to provide criteria for all columns of the index.

In the case of your article, the optimizer was intelligent enough to know that the existing index was more optimized than a table scan. When this doesn't work, simply specify not restricting criteria in place of missing attributes.

With your example, included LastName > 'A' in your where clause will meet the qualifications for the index.

It's an old school trick, but it still works.

The neat part is that you can do this in any missing column of a composite index

Write more...

Cheers,

Ben

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply