Column Name Restrictions / Description Keyword

• Create a pattern, if your team mates can read it and understand it easy its a good pattern.

Returning two homonimal columns in a query is a nuisance, I agree but you remember to fit the pattern for the most common cases, there's no perfect pattern and its a bit of personal taste.

(it remember me a DB where all ids was named [ID] for any table, much more than a nuisance!)

I remember one time when we got a situation:

table:

HorribleLongName

HorribleLongNameSubDetail

HorribleLongNamexHorribleLongNameSubDetail

ToooooooLongNameTable

ToooooooLongNameTableSubDetail

ToooooooLongNameTablexToooooooLongNameTableSubDetail

HorribleLongNamexHorribleLongNameSubDetailXToooooooLongNameTablexToooooooLongNameTableSubDetail

It was a valid design but the relational tables got horribles names.

• David, taking your example, TrailerActivityHeaderId and TrailerActivityHeaderTrailerNumber are not the names I would vote for. I would not name a table TrailerActivityHeader but TrailerActivity instead (Header is implied). Then its Id would be TrailerActivityId and the other column - just TrailerNumber. Notice how it is different from the name like Id, Number or Name. A generic rule would be that an identifier consisting of just one word is a suspect.

In any case, consistency should be the rule number one, the rest is judgmental.

• MR@SD (3/6/2012)

David, taking your example, TrailerActivityHeaderId and TrailerActivityHeaderTrailerNumber are not the names I would vote for. I would not name a table TrailerActivityHeader but TrailerActivity instead (Header is implied). Then its Id would be TrailerActivityId and the other column - just TrailerNumber. Notice how it is different from the name like Id, Number or Name. A generic rule would be that an identifier consisting of just one word is a suspect.

See, I would use TA_Id or something to shorten it even more. Some may say it is less descriptive and may confuse someone new to the code and database, but then again, in database development you really have to have an understanding of the structure to even modify code. So, I think TA or TD prefixes are fine for columns in those tables respectively.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• See, I would use TA_Id or something to shorten it even more. Some may say it is less descriptive and may confuse someone new to the code and database, but then again, in database development you really have to have an understanding of the structure to even modify code. So, I think TA or TD prefixes are fine for columns in those tables respectively.

With this we would strongly but respectfully disagree. Becides, underscores carry no value when the camel case rules.

• MR@SD (3/6/2012)

See, I would use TA_Id or something to shorten it even more. Some may say it is less descriptive and may confuse someone new to the code and database, but then again, in database development you really have to have an understanding of the structure to even modify code. So, I think TA or TD prefixes are fine for columns in those tables respectively.

With this we would strongly but respectfully disagree. Becides, underscores carry no value when the camel case rules.

No worries 🙂 Everyone has coding patterns that they like and should be consistent throughout an organization. I like underscores because they make readability easier to me. Some people like caps:

ProductNum

Product_Num

prodNum

prodNo

prod_no

Obviously the list goes on and on. I think the important thing is, again, to at least try and be consistent and at least somewhat descriptive. Make sure developers and members of the organization are aware of what's expected. Finally, balance between description and readability. Sure, it helps understanding to fully qualify a table name and column name, but it can make a large and complex query very hard to understand. If I have a simple query with 2 tables, Contract and Customer, I may use aliases C and Cu. If it was more complex and used more tables, I may change it to be contr and cust. I think we just have to always make a good judgement call based on the specific query.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• jcb (3/6/2012)

Create a pattern, if your team mates can read it and understand it easy its a good pattern.

Returning two homonimal columns in a query is a nuisance, I agree but you remember to fit the pattern for the most common cases, there's no perfect pattern and its a bit of personal taste.

(it remember me a DB where all ids was named [ID] for any table, much more than a nuisance!)

table:

HorribleLongName

ToooooooLongNameTable

HorribleLongNamexHorribleLongNameSubDetailXToooooooLongNameTablexToooooooLongNameTableSubDetail

By the same token, I hate table names with abbreviations in them because people are rarely consistent with their spelling. I also hate table names like "cus", "inv", and 'ta00001a5'. I'd much rather have an overly long but correctly descriptive table name.

That's just my opinion... not an argument.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (3/8/2012)

jcb (3/6/2012)

Create a pattern, if your team mates can read it and understand it easy its a good pattern.

table:

HorribleLongName

ToooooooLongNameTable

By the same token, I hate table names with abbreviations in them because people are rarely consistent with their spelling. I also hate table names like "cus", "inv", and 'ta00001a5'. I'd much rather have an overly long but correctly descriptive table name.

Are we all too familiar with GL00100 or PA10000? 🙂 Damn you Great Plains!

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• Jeff Moden (3/8/2012)

I agree Jeff and I have an argument:

A meaningful horrible long name is prefearable to a pretty small cryptic one.

• MR@SD (3/6/2012)

David, taking your example, TrailerActivityHeaderId and TrailerActivityHeaderTrailerNumber are not the names I would vote for. I would not name a table TrailerActivityHeader but TrailerActivity instead (Header is implied). Then its Id would be TrailerActivityId and the other column - just TrailerNumber. Notice how it is different from the name like Id, Number or Name. A generic rule would be that an identifier consisting of just one word is a suspect.

Its a carry-over from an AS/400 application for which I was a SME on the Business Unit side of things. (Yes, I still remember several of the individual object names including KILLERG and everyone's favorite GMG.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply