Code to convert varchar datatype that contains a numeric expression to a date

• skcadavre (6/25/2010)

Paul, that's great! I was hoping that when the other thread about this came up one of you gurus would come in and shatter my little code. There's always more to learn with SQL, and posts like yours are why I signed up to SQLServerCentral in the first place.

Well I don't think there was any shattering done 🙂

The code you posted is just a slightly different approach - there's absolutely nothing wrong there.

If I had seen that thread before I would probably just have linked to it as Gianluca did, and saved myself ten minutes' typing 😉

• Paul, have you got any guidelines as to when you should and should not compile a UDF WITH SCHEMABINDING?

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (6/25/2010)

Paul, have you got any guidelines as to when you should and should not compile a UDF WITH SCHEMABINDING?

As a general rule, always do 🙂

If you change an existing UDF, test it just to be sure.

edit: Scalar UDFs should pretty much *never* do data access. Multi-statement table-valued UDFs that do data access are rarely a good idea (but it can happen). In-line table-valued UDFs are fine, of course.

• Hi Paul

Many thanks that works brilliantly sorry to be a pain but I need to do the same for time also

the time is stored in the same way ie the list below

What would i need to change in the Func to create one to convert the time please?

Kind regards

Simon Hardstaff

• Paul White NZ (6/25/2010)

Gianluca Sartori (6/25/2010)

Great code, Paul, as usual!!

Thanks. Sorry I didn't notice your reply before.

Just one question: what does schemabinding mean here? The return value depends only on the input parameter, so I miss the point on enabling shemabinding.

SCHEMABINDING ensures that SQL Server checks the function for determinism.

A function that is not schema-bound is marked by SQL Server as non-deterministic and as doing data access.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlprogrammability/archive/2006/05/12/596424.aspx

Heh... "It Depends" 😉 I don't see the spooling mentioned in the article for the following functions. Must have been an old sp1 bug or something. {edit} Seems like the only time the table spool occurs is during an update. It also seems that the use of an iTVF provides much more value than the schema binding although I'm one of those that will try to squeeze every last millisecond out of a query on a million rows. Nice tip, Paul.

USE TempDB;

GO

DROP FUNCTION dbo.IntToDateSB, dbo.IntToDateNSB, dbo.IntToDateSCSB, dbo.IntToDateSCNSB;

DROP TABLE #Sample;

GO

SET NOCOUNT ON;

GO

CREATE FUNCTION dbo.IntToDateSB

(

@Input INTEGER

)

RETURNS TABLE

WITH SCHEMABINDING

AS RETURN

SELECT value = DATEADD(DAY, (@Input & 0x000000FF) - 1, DATEADD(MONTH, (@Input & 0x0000FF00) / 256 - 1, DATEADD(YEAR, (@Input & 0xFFFF0000) / 65536 - 1900, 0)));

GO

CREATE FUNCTION dbo.IntToDateNSB

(

@Input INTEGER

)

RETURNS TABLE

AS RETURN

SELECT value = DATEADD(DAY, (@Input & 0x000000FF) - 1, DATEADD(MONTH, (@Input & 0x0000FF00) / 256 - 1, DATEADD(YEAR, (@Input & 0xFFFF0000) / 65536 - 1900, 0)));

GO

CREATE FUNCTION dbo.IntToDateScSB(@Input int)

RETURNS DATETIME

WITH SCHEMABINDING

BEGIN

RETURN (SELECT DATEADD(DAY, (@Input & 0x000000FF) - 1, DATEADD(MONTH, (@Input & 0x0000FF00) / 256 - 1, DATEADD(YEAR, (@Input & 0xFFFF0000) / 65536 - 1900, 0))) AS value)

END

GO

CREATE FUNCTION dbo.IntToDateScNSB(@Input int)

RETURNS DATETIME

BEGIN

RETURN (SELECT DATEADD(DAY, (@Input & 0x000000FF) - 1, DATEADD(MONTH, (@Input & 0x0000FF00) / 256 - 1, DATEADD(YEAR, (@Input & 0xFFFF0000) / 65536 - 1900, 0))) AS value);

END

GO

SELECT is_deterministic = OBJECTPROPERTYEX(OBJECT_ID(N'dbo.IntToDateSB', N'IF'), 'IsDeterministic'),

is_precise = OBJECTPROPERTYEX(OBJECT_ID(N'dbo.IntToDateSB', N'IF'), 'IsPrecise'),

is_system_verified = OBJECTPROPERTYEX(OBJECT_ID(N'dbo.IntToDateSB', N'IF'), 'IsSystemVerified');

GO

SELECT is_deterministic = OBJECTPROPERTYEX(OBJECT_ID(N'dbo.IntToDateNSB', N'IF'), 'IsDeterministic'),

is_precise = OBJECTPROPERTYEX(OBJECT_ID(N'dbo.IntToDateNSB', N'IF'), 'IsPrecise'),

is_system_verified = OBJECTPROPERTYEX(OBJECT_ID(N'dbo.IntToDateNSB', N'IF'), 'IsSystemVerified');

GO

SELECT is_deterministic = OBJECTPROPERTYEX(OBJECT_ID(N'dbo.IntToDateScSB', N'FN'), 'IsDeterministic'),

is_precise = OBJECTPROPERTYEX(OBJECT_ID(N'dbo.IntToDateScSB', N'FN'), 'IsPrecise'),

is_system_verified = OBJECTPROPERTYEX(OBJECT_ID(N'dbo.IntToDateScSB', N'FN'), 'IsSystemVerified');

GO

SELECT is_deterministic = OBJECTPROPERTYEX(OBJECT_ID(N'dbo.IntToDateScNSB', N'FN'), 'IsDeterministic'),

is_precise = OBJECTPROPERTYEX(OBJECT_ID(N'dbo.IntToDateScNSB', N'FN'), 'IsPrecise'),

is_system_verified = OBJECTPROPERTYEX(OBJECT_ID(N'dbo.IntToDateScNSB', N'FN'), 'IsSystemVerified');

GO

CREATE TABLE #Sample (data INTEGER NOT NULL);

GO

INSERT #Sample (data) VALUES (131402524);

INSERT #Sample (data) VALUES (131336971);

GO

INSERT INTO #Sample (data)

SELECT DATA FROM #Sample

GO 11

CREATE INDEX IX_#Sample_Data ON #Sample (data);

GO

SELECT 'THERE ARE ' + CAST((SELECT COUNT(*) FROM #Sample) AS VARCHAR(10)) + ' ROWS IN #SAMPLE.'

GO

------------------------------------------------

DECLARE @Bitbucket DATETIME

SET STATISTICS TIME ON;

SELECT @Bitbucket = iTVF.value

FROM #Sample S

CROSS

APPLY dbo.IntToDateSB(S.data) iTVF

WHERE S.data > 0;

SELECT @Bitbucket = iTVF.value

FROM #Sample S

CROSS

APPLY dbo.IntToDateNSB(S.data) iTVF

WHERE S.data > 0;

SELECT @Bitbucket = dbo.IntToDateSCSB(S.data)

FROM #Sample S

WHERE S.data > 0;

SELECT @Bitbucket = dbo.IntToDateSCNSB(S.data)

FROM #Sample S

WHERE S.data > 0;

SET STATISTICS TIME OFF;

RAISERROR('-------------------------------------------------------------------',10,1) WITH NOWAIT;

GO 4

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff, yes you're right - the table spool (or some other blocking operator) only appears in update plans because it is there for Halloween protection. The optimiser is smart enough to know when Halloween protection is not required - but it can't safely assume anything when it comes across a non-deterministic function.

The wider point is that non-deterministic functions defeat all sorts of potential optimisations, transformations, and re-orderings. In keeping with my general approach of helping the optimiser to do its job well, I recommend schema binding pretty much all functions. You need a very good reason not to, in any case.

Finally, and just for clarity, I hope I have made it clear that schema binding a function just allows SQL Server to evaluate it for determinism - it is still possible for a schema bound function to be non-deterministic: it depends what it does.

• Simon Hardstaff (6/28/2010)

What would i need to change in the Func to create one to convert the time please?

Hey Simon,

For my part, I think it's important to understand how the solution works, rather than just treating it as a black box. If you spend some time working out how the date conversion thing works, it should be obvious how to apply the same technique to times 🙂

Have a go. If you get totally stuck, post back your thoughts (and perhaps your best effort so far at a time converter) and one of us will gladly point you in the right direction.

Paul

• Hi Paul

Many thanks I will do and thanks again for the code

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply