Clustering - MSDTC

• Hi,

I have a server which is clustered and of course already has MSDTC installed in it.

I m thinking of installing a new instance in the same server which will also be clustered. In this case, should i install MSDTC again in that server or MSDTC will automatically recognize the new installed instance.

What are the other particulars i need to check out before installing a new instance in a clustered server?

Any help will be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

• Any suggestions???

• I don't think you can have more than one MSDTC on a machine, even a clustered machine.

I would also question the additional instance. Are you going to an active/active cluster from an active/passive. What is the underlying rationale for the second instance?

CEWII

• The cluster type is active/passive. We are not moving to active/active type. We already have sql 2000 installed which is clustered. We are going to install sql 2005 in the same server..

I understand that we can have only one MSDTC on a server in windows 2000/ 2003 platform..

Suppose I have sql 2000 installed and clustered say in server A. Now, I am planning to install sql 2005 in server A and make it clustered. Before installing sql 2005, should i remove the existing MSDTC and reinstall the MSDTC again? or is it enough if I just install sql 2005 instance alone.

Thanks for you reply!!!

• I believe SQL 2005 may re-install the MSDTC with an updated version. But I;m not sure about that. I don't think you have a choice but to install the SQL 2005 directly. Are you planning on creating a SQL 2005 resource group and specific disks for 2005 or are you sharing the same resource group? I would not use the same resource group I have read a lot on problems with that. Also, please keep in mind that not all SQL 2005 components are cluster-aware, like SSIS. It would be great if you had a dev cluster to try this on before trying it in prod..

CEWII

• Yes. I will go for a separate group while installing SQL Server 2005. Tnx for your reply.. I appreciate it...

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply