Clustering

• Hi,

Please let me know the main difference b/n Microsoft Clustering & Veritas Clustering.

What is the use of Domain controller in clustering? I mean is it mandatory to create domain controller? Please let me know.

• ramana3327 (1/18/2014)

Hi,

Please let me know the main difference b/n Microsoft Clustering & Veritas Clustering.

What is the use of Domain controller in clustering? I mean is it mandatory to create domain controller? Please let me know.

The 2 are very different in the way SQL Server is installed. Basically with Windows server failover clustering a cluster is deployed across a specified set of nodes. When you launch the SQL Server installer, you first target one node and complete the install. Once this is done you then run the add node wizard on each further cluster node you want to take part in the failover cluster instance.

With VCS things are a little different. You create a VCS cluster across a set of specified nodes, this much is the same. However, when you install SQL Server you install a stand alone instance to each VCS cluster node. When you create a VCS clustered application for a SQL Server service you select the stand alone instances required to join.

Running the following against a clustered instance of SQL Server has different results on a WSFC ( value of 1 ) and a VCS cluster ( value of 0 )

select SERVERPROPERTY('isclustered')

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• If you use Microsoft SCOM monitoring in your environment like we do, I would stick to Microsoft clustering

• smitty-1088185 (1/20/2014)

If you use Microsoft SCOM monitoring in your environment like we do, I would stick to Microsoft clustering

Really and why exactly is that?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I'm not sure if there is a SCOM plug-in for Veritas Clustering. We prefer to have one point of contact when something goes wrong (Microsoft).

Not always possible though.

• Symantec do offer a VCS management pack for SCOM

• ramana3327 (1/18/2014)

Hi,

We used to have Veritas (the company I worked for before, biggest one in the world after Microsoft) for Mission Critical applications and geographically dispersed servers. MS Cluster is nice for HA but on same city or data center.

Also, on Veritas you basically install MS-SQL once on top of Symantec Veritas which does the rest. But it can be difficult to configure and troubleshoot, because it usually requires SAN to SAN replication, and especial router and switch setup. MS Clustering is more straight forward and easy to setup if you really learn the basics.

It can be more complex than that, but basically that's the difference.

In my opinion and unless geographical dispersion is needed, MS Cluster should satisfy your needs.

• sql-lover

Also, on Veritas you basically install MS-SQL once on top of Veritas which does the rest.

Thats not correct, see my post above.

SFW HA has VCS cluster resource types for sql server but you need to install sql instance on each node you want in the cluster group.

• Perry Whittle (1/22/2014)

sql-lover

Also, on Veritas you basically install MS-SQL once on top of Veritas which does the rest.

Thats not correct, see my post above.

SFW HA has VCS cluster resource types for sql server but you need to install sql instance on each node you want in the cluster group.

Once for each node, I mean. But you will see one only MS-SQL instance which Veritas handles or moves behind scenes.

• I got it. Thank you Perry.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply