Clustered Index on column having 97% same value

• I have been looking at a RMS (Microsoft retail management system) Database for a client that is having speed issues.

I have noticed that there are only 2 indexes on the transaction table which have been added due to a recomendation by Microsoft.

They are

CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX [Transaction1]

ON [dbo].[Transaction]([RecallType])

ON [PRIMARY]

CREATE INDEX [Transaction2]

ON [dbo].[Transaction]([Time], [RecallType])

ON [PRIMARY]

Now the question/problem I have with this is that

Transaction Table contains 700,000 Rows

RecallType is an int which contains 22941 different values but of these 678,500 are the value 0

Now I cannot see what benefit this clustered index would it not be better to add the index on a more unique field.

Cheers

Daniel wood

• It probably would be better to have the cluster on a more unique column. Without analysing the system I couldn't say for 100% sure.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Daniel Wood (5/20/2010)

I cannot see what benefit this clustered index would it not be better to add the index on a more unique field.

here it is non uniue clus index and The engine will append a 4-byte value (when necessary) to any non-unique cluster key value as it's inserted into the index to make it unique

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• Hi,

it wont be used much and setting clustered index on such column is of use as per mine thought , need to know how your processes are using it . Gail is correct clustered index should be more on unique column , or you can use a unique column alone with these and set it as a primary key . But cannt say much without knowing the utilization

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply