Cluster install: SQL Management Studio won''t install

• Hey All,

I've tried this twice and had the same problem both times...  I install SQL 2005 Std on an active/passive Windows 2003 Ent cluster.  The actual SQL Server works fine but the SQL Management Studio (and other tools) are only installed on one node of the cluster.

When I rerun setup on the second node to try and install the management/client tools I get the following error:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Setup

------------------------------

None of the selected features can be installed or upgraded. Setup cannot proceed since no effective change is being made to the machine. To continue, click Back and then select features to install. To exit SQL Server Setup, click Cancel.

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.1399.06&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=SQLSetup90&EvtType=28108

..the link says something about the "sa" password but I can't imagine how that is related (although the "sa" password I set is complex et al).

I've seen other people posting on other forums with this same problem but I've never seen anyone provide a solution.

Any ideas?

• I didn't encounter this problem, but I'm using SQL2005EE and I'm installing the client-software at the C-drive ! (default).

I've set up an Active/Active cluster with 3 instances hosted on 2 nodes (2-1).

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• By default in a cluster install the tools are only installed on the primary node (the node that setup was original run). From what you describe, though, it sounds like some portion of the tools were installed on the passive node.

Log on to the passive node and go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Program. Scroll down to the entry for "Microsoft SQL Server 2005", select it, and click the "Change" button. If you see the entry "Workstation Components" under the section "SQL Server 2005 common components" select it, and press the "Next >" button. This will launch the SQL Tools MSI in maintenance mode. Just follow the dialogs and you'll come to one that asks if you want to "Change Installed Components" or "Remove Microsoft SQL Server". Select the option to "Change Installed Components". The next dialog will show an abbreviated feature tree. Expand the "Client Components" node. I'm guessing that "Management Tools" shows a red 'X'. Select "Management Tools" and continue with the dialogs. This will install Management Studio on the machine.

Background: SQL2K5 is comprised of several different MSIs. Each MSI installs a specific SQL component (Relational Engine, Analysis Services, etc). In order to add or remove a component from an installed MSI you must run the SQL2K5 setup in maintenance mode - which I describe above.

Cheers,

Dan

• Dan,

"By default in a cluster install the tools are only installed on the primary node (the node that setup was original run). From what you describe, though, it sounds like some portion of the tools were installed on the passive node"

Can you kindly clarify this means we cannot start the client tools from the secondary node (since they would not have the management tools)?.. If my memory serves me right in SQL 2000 we can start the tools from either of the nodes...

TIA

• In SQL2K the tools were installed on all nodes that were part of the SQL cluster. However, in SQL2K5 that behavior was changed and the tools (this should read non-instance components) are only installed on the node that setup is originally run - usually the primary node.

Based on your description I cannot tell exactly what's going on or the current state of the passive node. That's why I suggest you go to Control Pannel -> Add/Remove Programs and select "Change" on the "Microsoft SQL Server 2005" entry. This will tell us exactly what's installed on that node and what's preventing the installation of the tools on that node.

What I understand you are trying to do is install the Tools on the passive node. This is absolutely supported and must be done manually after you complete the cluster install.

In other words, what you need to do to install a 2 node cluster and have tools on both node is:

On Node 1: run SQL Server setup and select the components to install (server and tools). Include Node 2 as part of the SQL cluster.

On Node 2: run SQL Server setup and only select to install the tools (Management Studio).

• The problem is that when I go to Add/Remove Programs and "Change" on SQL Server 2005 it will not allow me to install the workstation components.

It correctly identifies that the workstation components are not installed (i.e. it shows me the workstations components with a red X next to them) but when I choose to install entire feature and click on next I get the error that I listed earlier in the thread:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Setup

None of the selected features can be installed or upgraded. Setup cannot proceed since no effective change is being made to the machine. To continue, click Back and then select features to install. To exit SQL Server Setup, click Cancel.

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.1399.06&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=SQLSetup90&EvtType=28108

It's not a matter of me expecting that the cluster install would install the tools on both nodes or me not trying to install the tools manually on the 2nd node, the problem is that the tools will not install on the 2nd node.

I've tried installing them from add/remove programs "change", I've tried from the DVD, and I've even tried from the (#2) CD.  They all get me to the point where I can select the workstation components to install but then fail and say that the components are already installed (which they clearly aren't, the directory structures don't even exist).

• Okay - From Node 2 try removing the complete "Workstation Components" feature through Add/Remove programs. Then rerun setup from the DVD and choose to install only tools.

• Actually the way I got it to work was to rename/delete the "Tools" directory.  I then did the install again and it worked.

Evidently the install of the server created the Tools directory and since that directory was there it thought the management tools were already installed.

Thanks all for your help!

• That's very very strange. While I'd expect the tools directory to exist I wouldn't have expected setup to block based on the existence of the tools directory. It's great if the tools are working as expected I'm just a little concerned that you might have broken something else by deleting the tools directory.

Oh well. Good luck.

• as was mentioned earlier, by design, the SQL 2005 cluster installation, only installs the management tools on the primary node of the clustered install, all other nodes that need the management tools must be installed manually from the command prompt

The following works:

Create c:\sql2005clustersetup-ClientTools.ini file containing:

[Options]

INSTALLSQLDIR="C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\"

ADDLOCAL="SQL_DTS,Client_Components,Connectivity,SQL_Tools90,SQL_WarehouseDevWorkbench,SQLXML,Tools_Legacy,SQL_Documentation,SQL_BooksOnline"

ERRORREPORTING=0

SQMREPORTING=0

Run the SQL server setup.exe from a command prompt:

d:\servers\setup.exe /settings c:\sql2005clustersetup-ClientTools.ini /qb

• Hi all,

I would like to thanks all of you guy that share the topic.

I have a problem like you also. After i follow the instruction below. it's working.

Once again thank you very much!!!

The following works:

Create c:\sql2005clustersetup-ClientTools.ini file containing:

[Options]

INSTALLSQLDIR="C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\"

ADDLOCAL="SQL_DTS,Client_Components,Connectivity,SQL_Tools90,SQL_WarehouseDevWorkbench,SQLXML,Tools_Legacy,SQL_Documentation,SQL_BooksOnline"

ERRORREPORTING=0

SQMREPORTING=0

Run the SQL server setup.exe from a command prompt:

d:\servers\setup.exe /settings c:\sql2005clustersetup-ClientTools.ini /qb

• Hi to all,

I've a client whom we helped with the default installation of SQL Server 2005 early this year.

The SQL Management Studio was installed on node 1.

The client is interested with installing the SQL Management Studio on node 2 (current passive node). Their reason being that they want node 2 to hold another database instance (MS Biztalk). However they are unable to do so and have told me that their install is having problems.

They sent me their log files and I could pick out some of these errors:

"To change an existing instance of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 to a different edition of SQL Server 2005, you must run SQL Server 2005 Setup from the command prompt and include the SKUUPGRADE=1 parameter."

Or

"There can be a product on higher SP level. Action: If you are attempting to upgrade an existing instance of Microsoft SQL Server to another Edition by installing the RTM version of the new Edition, you need to pass "SKUUPGRADE=1" to setup.exe on the command line."

I am wondering if it is because they have insert the original install disks which was SQL Server 2005 only. The database cluster was already patched to SP1.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and best regards.

• I'm just putting up a new win2003/Sql2005 cluster, had a successful clustered install, and manually installed client tools as stand alone on node2, and this worked (thanks to some good insight on this forum).

I'm curious though, it appears that there was something that is installed on Node2 during the clustered sql install, that was not installed on node1, that is a an MSSQL folder, with an empty JOBS folder inside of it.

Does anyone know why SQL 2005 Clustered install does this? I'm assuming (perhaps foolishly) that there is a reason...

thanks

• - it installs the runtime libaries so it is able to support the failover.

- you need the extra client install at the second node,

if you want to have the GUI available at failover time ,

at the active node, because that is not considered as a runtime feature to support failover.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• It's doesn't install on the Node1. when i install on my W2k3/SQL2005 cluster, there is only one node that installed Management Studio Client tool. So I have to do it manually.

Look on my last posted.

Thanks,

Willeiy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply