Changing SQLserver default port

• Hello,

As a part of security, we are planning to change sql server default port.

what the precations we need to take care and how can we connect using management studio and .net applications. will there be any change after the port change.

Regards
    Durai Nagarajan

• durai nagarajan (7/10/2012)

Hello,

As a part of security, we are planning to change sql server default port.

what the precations we need to take care and how can we connect using management studio and .net applications. will there be any change after the port change.

It really depends on you apps and usage.

What you need to do is get a list of all 'clients' that connect in to the instance that you are going to change and the ensure that you have a good understanding of how each connects to the server instance (so you know how/if there needs to be a config change).

Ideally and hopefully you have a test encironment.

HTH

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• Adam,

do you have any document on this i got to know how to change the port but need to understand the connectivity part before even proceeding the testing.

because i need to prepare a rollback plan as well.

Regards
    Durai Nagarajan

• The following articles are a start:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823938

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328383

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Hello,

i am confused i have changed the port in my test server and asked a developer to give a desktop application which will allow me to enter port number and connect

issue is wihtout entering port number it is connecting and getting the results.

when i disable Named pipes it is connecting only with port but Management studio also stopped connecting despite i select TcP/IP protocal.

i want this configuration

Management studio should work with TCPIP and .net connection should work only with port number.

how to get this done, kindly specify where i went wrong.

Regards
    Durai Nagarajan

• if the SQL browser service is running, any connections that ask for the server will be directed to the proper port.

if you stop the SQL Browser service, then the port will have to be specified.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Lowell,

My SQL browser service is stopped, still the above thing happens.

Regards
    Durai Nagarajan

• how many instances of SQL are installed on your dev machine?

could it be that another isntance is answering the default port of 1433?

What i'm saying is that maybe you changed one instace, but the other is answering?

I have three isntances on my machine, for example:

2008R2 as a default instance on port 1433, a 2005 instance on port 14330. and a 2012 instance on a dynamic port, which is

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• We have only one instance in that development server.

Regards
    Durai Nagarajan

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply