changing recovery mode

• When you chagne the databse recovery mode, for example from FULL to SIMPLE, do you have to restart the SQL services for the change to take effect? Or is it just applied without restarting the services?

Thanks very much.

• No, you do not need to restart the SQL Server service. The change takes effect immediately.

SQL BAK Explorer - read SQL Server backup file details without SQL Server.
    Supports backup files created with SQL Server 2005 up to SQL Server 2017.

• The switch to Full/Bulk-logged recovery model takes effect only after you take a full backup. Check this article for more information. Also Paul Randall wrote on his blog an article/script New script: is that database REALLY in the FULL recovery mode?

• DaniSQL (7/14/2010)

The switch to Simple recovery model takes effect only after you take a full backup.

A switch to Simple takes effect immediately. It's a switch from simple to either Full or Bulk-logged that only really takes effect after a full or differential backup.

From the article you linked to:

If you must switch from the simple recovery model to the full recovery model, we recommend that you:

1. Immediately after you complete the switch to the full recovery model or bulk-logged recovery model, take a full or differential database backup to start the log chain.

The switch to the full or bulk-logged recovery model takes effect only after the first data backup.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks Gail. I edited my original post accordingly.

• Thanks, I didn't think I had to restart services but didn't see it actually stated anywhere and wanted to make sure.

• One other note, the recovery mode is a database option, not a server option. I believe most db options are not service restarting changes. Some might take the db offline, but not the whole instance.

In this case, however, please pay attention to the need to take backups after full/bulkload switches. It's important.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply