Changing database context with dynamic SQL

• I have a problem with changing database context with dynamic SQL.

I have table

Objects 

[OdjectId] [int] IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL ,

[ObjectText] [varchar] (500) COLLATE Latin1_General_BIN NULL ,

[DbName] [varchar] (20) COLLATE Latin1_General_BIN NULL ,

[ObjectName] [varchar] (50) COLLATE Latin1_General_BIN NULL

and

sp as

declare @text varchar (500),

@db varchar (20),

@Object varchar(50),

@rows int

DECLARE spCursor CURSOR FOR

select

ObjectText,

DbName,

ObjectName

from Objects

open spCursor

FETCH NEXT FROM spCursor into @text,@db,@Object

while @@fetch_status = 0

begin

set @rows = (select count(*) from Cornerstone.dbo.sysobjects where name = @Object)

if @rows = 0

begin

select @db

exec ('use ' + @db )

select * from sysobjects

select @text

exec (@text )

end

fetch next from spCursor into @text,@db,@Object

end

close spCursor

deallocate spCursor

The problem is that when the objects are created, they are created in the context of the current db not in the context of the the db from the objects table. - Is there any way I can get the objects created in the correct db ?

Thanks in advance

Stuart

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• Sorry just re-read this and it makes no sense unless I state that Field ObjectText on Objects Table contains "create table (view) name as ......." which is the definition of an object to be created in the target db - as specified in the dbName field

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan

• As far as I am aware, any context changes (current DB, SET options etc) only apply for the duration of the dynamically executed batch.

So:

use db1
    exec ('use db2')
    select db_name()

will return "db1", but

use db1
    exec ('use db2 select db_name()')

will return "db2"

• Thanks for your help - I've now sorted it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply