Changing collation.

• Using SQL Server 2000... is there a stored procedure or script that can be used to change the collation of the install? Also, what are the repercussions of changing the collation after installation?

Thank you so much and hope to hear your inputs.

Regards,

Timber

• Collation can be a pain. It's definateley better to chose the right collation at install time because changing it later is painfull. The default collation for a database can be changed with

ALTER DATABASE MyDatabase COLLATE French_CI_AS

However it only changes collation of objects created after it. Existing objects have to be changed at the column level.

You can generate up a change script like this

CREATE

PROCEDURE [dbo].[upChangeCollation]

AS

SELECT

'ALTER TABLE [' +

o

.name +

'] ALTER COLUMN [' +

c

.name + '] ' +

t

.name +

CASE t.name

WHEN 'sysname' THEN ' COLLATE Latin1_General_CI_AS'

ELSE '(' + CAST(c.length AS VARCHAR(18)) + ') ' + ' COLLATE Latin1_General_CI_AS'

END

FROM

sysobjects o INNER JOIN syscolumns c

ON o.id = c.id

INNER JOIN systypes t

ON c.xtype = t.xtype

WHERE

o

.xtype = 'U'

AND t.name IN ('char','nchar','nvarchar','sysname','varchar')

• I will try this one out allen. Thank you so much for your reply.

Regards,

Timber

• Hi Timber...

Hope this is not too late...

Another thing to watch out for is when you "mix" database tables and temp. tables in your queries and stored procedures, errors can result if the default server collation is not compatible with your database collation.

One example is when your default server collation is case-sensitive and your database collation is case-insensitive...

This is probably because TEMPDB uses the default server collation, as it was created at installation time... I am not sure if TEMPDB's default collation can be changed, I have not tried it out or looked it up.

Thanks

Bernard

• When you create something in TempDB you can of course specify the collation you want.

• You can change TempDB's collation by changing the colation of then entire server. That will involve rebuilding the master database with the new collation. Look up Rebuildm in books online.

If you are looking to change the server's collation, make sure you have scripts to recreate logins and other server objects and that you detach all user database (and preferably make sure you have a backup)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thank you for the insights. Nope it's not too later. I was just curious if it can be done. I would be testing this one once again

Regards,

Timber

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply