Change object owner.

• Hello T-SQL experts,

I just wanted to ask someone to confirm something for me, to make sure I have this correct.

I need to do the following...

Change a table owner from

johnThomas.tablename

to

dbo.tablename

and do the same with a couple views. Is the following correct to achieve this?

Alter Authorisation on object::johnThomas.tablename to dbo;

GO

Would be able to save it as a stored procedure if I put the following before it..?

create stored proc

as sp_changeowner

Thank you for reading and any help,

D

• See Books On Line for ALTER SCHEMA

Jim

• Thanks for the tip,

So after running

USE DatabaseName;

GO

ALTER SCHEMA dbo TRANSFER JohnThomas.tablename;

GO

I'll go from

johnThomas.tablename to dbo.tablename?

Thanks again,

D.

• Yes.

Jim

• Hi Jim,

Whats the difference between what I have done above and...?

EXEC sp_changeobjectowner 'TableName', 'dbo'

Am I better off using this instead?

Regards,

D.

• From Book On Line

This stored procedure only works with the objects available in Microsoft SQL Server 2000. This feature will be removed in a future version of Microsoft SQL Server. Avoid using this feature in new development work, and plan to modify applications that currently use this feature. Use ALTER SCHEMA or ALTER AUTHORIZATION instead. sp_changeobjectowner changes both the schema and the owner. To preserve compatibility with earlier versions of SQL Server, this stored procedure will only change object owners when both the current owner and the new owner own schemas that have the same name as their database user names.

Jim

• Once again Jim, thank you for your reply. I created a stored procedure and it appears in the database, however when I script to create into a new window, only one line of the code appears, and the 15 or so lines under it are missing, the same thing happens if I select 'Modify'. What could I be doing wrong?

Regards,

D.

• The GO statement marks the end of the batch and will end the procedure. Remove the GO from the middle of your create procedure script.

______________________________________________________________________________
    How I want a drink, alcoholic of course, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply