CDC

• Hi Guys,

Understand that subscriber/publisher is deprecated.

There is a product from MS -Change Data Capture for Oracle by Attunity that does replication from oracle to sql server.

Is there any good and easy way for replication (including ddl) from sql server to oracle? on enterprise level involving huge sql server database.

thanks much.

• chewychewy (12/17/2016)

Hi Guys,

Understand that subscriber/publisher is deprecated.

There is a product from MS -Change Data Capture for Oracle by Attunity that does replication from oracle to sql server.

Is there any good and easy way for replication (including ddl) from sql server to oracle? on enterprise level involving huge sql server database.

thanks much.

First, I understand CDC to be Change Data Capture and not the solution you need here. Replication is also not the answer.

You can use the SQL Server Migration Assistent (SSMA) from Microsoft to produce your DDL from Oracle. I am writing an article to address exactly this issue and it should be ready in the next few days.

In short though, the Assistant is a means to not only create a report to identify problem areas, but also to create a migration script, create the necessary objects in SQL Server and migrate the data. The migration script in itself can be modified as seen fit and manually run on the SQL Server.

You should still prepare yourself for a lot of hard work and late nights though because the migration assistant cant rewrite bad code and has some restrictions with regards to objects that can be migrated.

• Hi kevaburg,

thanks for your advise. I'm actually looking for a real time replication solution for replication (including ddl) from sql server to oracle.

thanks much

• chewychewy (12/18/2016)

Hi kevaburg,

thanks for your advise. I'm actually looking for a real time replication solution for replication (including ddl) from sql server to oracle.

thanks much

Ah, now I understand. The data you can keep actual by creating an ETL job that transfers a delta of information into a table; that is relatively easy to do with linked servers. All you would need to do is install an ODBC or OLE-DB Driver suitable for Oracle on the SQL Server and establish a linked server between them.

The automating of DDL across the platforms is much trickier and I would suggest that because DDL changes are not something that would normally be automated, that any changes to an object are manually tested and implemented. After all you know whether DDL changes have occured or not.

The biggest reason for this is that there are objects and datatypes that simply don't translate from one platform to the other such as User Defined Datatypes and VARCHAR2 fields. Numeric and Date fields also present some unique challenges on occasion.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply