CASE statement validates both Databases

• When testing. I get an error that I cannot access the production database, even though the case statement should only be accessing development. I guess it checks permissions even though I'm not actually doing a select against PROD ?

I want fld4 to be set to different values depending on which database I'm in.

select fld1, fld2, fld3,

CASE WHEN DB_NAME() not in

(select database_name from OurDatabases where active_ind = 'Y')

THEN Development.dbo.Function(@var)

ELSE PROD.dbo.Function(@var)

END as fld4

from MyTable

• homebrew01 (3/30/2010)

When testing. I get an error that I cannot access the production database, even though the case statement should only be accessing development. I guess it checks permissions even though I'm not actually doing a select against PROD ?

I want fld4 to be set to different values depending on which database I'm in.

select fld1, fld2, fld3,

CASE WHEN DB_NAME() not in

(select database_name from OurDatabases where active_ind = 'Y')

THEN Development.dbo.Function(@var)

ELSE PROD.dbo.Function(@var)

END as fld4

from MyTable

Yes indeed, when the code is checked, it parses the entire query first for errors and to make sure all the objects exist and are accessible before running the query itself.

• Use a synonym, view, or dynamic SQL?

• And then it typically defaults to the first database when trying to do something like this.

As Paul suggested, dynamic SQL, SSIS package, nested stored procedures, synonyms or views could resolve the issue.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Using a synonym would be my default choice here, since they were pretty much invented just for this type of scenario.

• Thanks for the feedback. Would a synonym work with a function that is in another database as I'm trying to do in my first post ?

• homebrew01 (4/2/2010)

Thanks for the feedback. Would a synonym work with a function that is in another database as I'm trying to do in my first post ?

Sure would - give it a go!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply