Careful Blogging

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Careful Blogging

• Followed the link but could not find the article referred to. But anything placed on a blog is in the public domain, so you have to assume your employer will read it. So don't slag off your employer. And don't breach any confidentiality agreement you have signed with them either.

• I recently approached my current HR department about blogging. There is an official policy: Mention you work for us, here's your pink slip. It's primarily so they don't have to audit their employees.

Welcome to the 22nd century.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Back in the "old days", to get published in a professional journal you had to go through a rigorous peer review process. Now days, any fool can throw up some garbage online and call it a blog. Lawyers now provide the rigourous peer review process that used to exist in professional publishing.

James Stover, McDBA

• Your editorial is particularly relevant where just yesterday we heard the news story of Marilyn Davenport, a GOP official from Orange County California, who emailed derogatory pictures of President Obama to her fellow GOP committee members - and when caught doing this, many have demanded her resignation, but she has issued lame excuses like "It was just a joke between friends...". In fact, what we learned is that this woman is a stone-cold racist, and in typical fashion, part of her excuse-making was the usual "I have friends who are black!" - Oh really, and how do they feel about the disgusting 'joke' pictures you sent to fellow co-workers.

One of the core concepts of freedom of speech is that when you have awful, ugly people, freedom of speech is a good thing because they themselves reveal their true colors.

But in business we think there is some "special way" we are supposed to conduct ourselves and most presume this means a modicum of respect to one another. Yes, thats true, but what about the other side? What if you knew your company was doing something shady, unfair or even illegal - does that same modicum apply? If you knew your company was ripping clients off, for example, would you go along? Would you blog about it? Would you email clients? ...or would you just do nothing and "respect your employer"?

Lets face it - this digital soapbox we call the internet is a great invention - but we are still decades away from figuring out how to conduct ourselves on it.

There's no such thing as dumb questions, only poorly thought-out answers...
  • I blog an odd combination of movie reviews, religious experiences, and semi-random thoughts. None of it bears on work. None of it has any legal liability. I keep it that way.

If my boss, or HR, or anyone at all, ever reads my blog, it will probably be confusing in parts (because of the Scientology perspective I write from), but it won't cause any liability problems.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Craig Farrell (4/19/2011)

I recently approached my current HR department about blogging. There is an official policy: Mention you work for us, here's your pink slip. It's primarily so they don't have to audit their employees.

That's not too bad. I've heard of 'Blog and you're fired' policies before.

When I worked at the bank I asked my boss about blogging. There was no official policy, so he thought about it and set some simple rules:

1) Don't blog about the company. Don't mention the company name. Don't post actual server or database names

2) Don't blog at work

Whether he checked up or not I don't know, In doubt it, it wasn't like him to do so.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I don't know about blogs. I think if they're not damaging someone, you'll be OK. I was told recently by a head hunter that I should not be on Facebook because the posts by friends can put one in a bad light. She did say that I should blog as long as it shows off my technical knowledge. She said to shy away from politics, religion, and controversial subjects.

I recently approached my current HR department about blogging. There is an official policy: Mention you work for us, here's your pink slip. It's primarily so they don't have to audit their employees.

Welcome to the 22nd century.

I know a few people whose employers think like that. However I have had more than a few that liked the exposure, showing off the knowledge of their employers as long as I did not disclose any company secrets.

• OCTom (4/19/2011)

I don't know about blogs. I think if they're not damaging someone, you'll be OK. I was told recently by a head hunter that I should not be on Facebook because the posts by friends can put one in a bad light. She did say that I should blog as long as it shows off my technical knowledge. She said to shy away from politics, religion, and controversial subjects.

My advice is similar, though I think you can blog on anything, just do it separately. Have a blog for your life, and a separate one for work/career. Show some separation. It's how we live in life. We all believe in things outside of work that are usually not appropriate inside of work.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/19/2011)

OCTom (4/19/2011)

I don't know about blogs. I think if they're not damaging someone, you'll be OK. I was told recently by a head hunter that I should not be on Facebook because the posts by friends can put one in a bad light. She did say that I should blog as long as it shows off my technical knowledge. She said to shy away from politics, religion, and controversial subjects.

My advice is similar, though I think you can blog on anything, just do it separately. Have a blog for your life, and a separate one for work/career. Show some separation. It's how we live in life. We all believe in things outside of work that are usually not appropriate inside of work.

That's a great perspective, Steve and one that I share. The person I talked to said not to blog on any topic other than technology. That way prospective employers or clients can't "get you" on anything.

• OCTom (4/19/2011)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/19/2011)

OCTom (4/19/2011)

That's a great perspective, Steve and one that I share. The person I talked to said not to blog on any topic other than technology. That way prospective employers or clients can't "get you" on anything.

Yes, that can be dangerous, sometimes. I had an employer once track down an online identity I have that's risque, probably by personal email comparisons. They brought it up in the interview process. I fired back (being kinda miffed at that moment about it) to find me any of three things: 1) A full name to connect to me, 2) anything in there about my previous companies other then a comment or two about like "Having an annoying day at work", and 3) How having to work for a living invalidates the fact that I have a personal life.

Having to admit they couldn't, we moved on with the interview. I was hot and bothered so I turned down the offer. Companies really need to stay out of my personal life. I'm looking to work for you, I'm not moving into your house.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• The problem is that people tend to look through information with a filter on these days. They ignore anything that is not part of there accepted reality. One of the posters brought up the issue with the GOP in an earlier post but I notice says nothing about Bill Muaur publicly calling Gov Palin something so foul I will not even repeat it. When Bush was on the COVER of Time magazie portrayed as Hitler it was satire. When a picutre circulates of Obama in a similiar situation then it is racism. Truth is all to often only seen through the perspective of our beliefs.

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.

• OCTom (4/19/2011)

That way prospective employers or clients can't "get you" on anything.

Do you want to work for a company that's so draconian about what you do in your free time?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Companies really need to stay out of my personal life. I'm looking to work for you, I'm not moving into your house.

I agree - companies need to learn that employees have personal lives and allow the employee to keep the two separate. On the flipside, if it is known that you work for company x and you gain a certain notoriety for bad behavior online - that could impact the employer. I think it boils down to a good mix of common sense.

Keep your company name out of your blog or online comments.

If the behavior might embarrass you - it could potentially embarrass your employer

Don't bring personal life to work and don't take work into your personal venues.

Don't thrash on co-workers or employer in a public forum, blog or facebook.

Those kinds of simple common sense rules can help keep misunderstandings with employers down and keep you doing some of the things you enjoy.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply