Career Advice

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/5/2010)

This is a good method to quickly find stop gaps in your knowledge. Performing interviews can be a drain if you are expecting a lot of success. A potential negative of doing things this way is that you could go through a lot of interviews, not knowing your stuff, and possibly sour a future potential employer. Be careful and use a little moderation.

hey Hey HEY! I didn't suggest to go unprepared 😀

My suggestion was to see interviews as part of the learning process both technical and personal - interviewing is an art on itself - so to take advantage of initial failures and minimize psychological drain.

I do agree it has to be used with a little moderation 😉

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • I know it has been covered, but I want to reinforce some of what has been said.

Invest in yourself. For Microsoft SQL Server, purchase the Developers Edition, it is one of the best investments you can make. Use it at home to learn and practice. Read the forums, particularly those here on SSC. Look at the problems presented, try to solve them, and compare your solution to those presented by others. Test and refine them, some times you can, some times you can't.

Buy books when you can, read and test what you learn from the books. Try to improve what they present. You may find that what they teach you is good enough, but there may be better ways (more scalable, better performance, etc)

As you can experience, actually start helping people on the forums. Pay attention to any critisms of your solutions, most of us will do so with the idea of helping you to improve.

• PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (4/14/2010)

hey Hey HEY! I didn't suggest to go unprepared 😀

Most certainly agree and I didn't interpret it that way. I have learned a bit from interviews. Most has been which companies I want no part of.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply