Capturing return code from sp

• I have a stored procedure that has no parameters.  I need to run this using vbscript using ADO.  I'm having trouble coming up with the syntax to capture the return code from the stored procedure.  Here is a snippet of some of my code.  I just need the commands to retrieve the return code from the stored procedure, after it executes.  Can anyone provide example code?

lo_Cmd.ActiveConnection = lo_Conn

lo_Cmd.CommandText = "proc_test_return_code"

lo_Cmd.CommandType = 4

lo_Cmd.CommandTimeout = 7200

' Run the stored procedure.

lo_Cmd.Execute ()

• Here's the code I use in vb for such a situation

Private Function exec_AutoExecPinTableNumbers(Optional ByRef ReturnValue As Integer) As Integer

On Error GoTo Gestion

Dim MyCmd As ADODB.Command

Set MyCmd = New ADODB.Command

MyCmd.CommandText = "dbo.AutoExecPinTableNumbers"

MyCmd.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc

Dim MyParam As ADODB.Parameter

Set MyParam = New ADODB.Parameter

MyParam.Direction = adParamReturnValue

MyParam.Name = "@Return"

MyParam.Type = adInteger

MyCmd.Parameters.Append MyParam

MyCn.Open

MyCmd.ActiveConnection = MyCn

MyCmd.Execute exec_AutoExecPinTableNumbers

MyCn.Close

ReturnValue = CInt(MyCmd.Parameters("@Return").Value)

Set MyParam = Nothing

Set MyCmd = Nothing

Exit Function

Gestion:

ErrHandler ModuleName, Me.Name, "exec_AutoExecPinTableNumbers", Err

MsgBox Err.Description & " : " & Err.Number

End Function

Just post back if you have questions.

• Does anyone have an example that is vbscript, not pure vb?  All the examples I find are vb, and nothing I'm trying is working.

• Can you post what you have... will be faster to correct that than to find a vbs version.

• I believe that if you make a few modifications to Remi's code like this:

Dim MyCmd 

Set MyCmd = CreateObject("ADODB.Command")

And do the same thing for each Dim/Set referencing the ADODB objects.

Good Luck

Darrell

• Actually, he'l have to remove all the As DataType, use createobject instead of set and change the enumeration constants to their actual values. It's not hard to do, it's just long.

• I finally threw in the towel, and added an output parameter with the return code, because I already have code that works to get a value from an output parameter.

One thing that drives me nuts about Microsoft is that things that should be easy, like running a stored procedure from vb, vbscript, MS Access, etc... is made absurdly complicated.  Really, this is such a commonly needed thing, that they should make it so you need at most, 3 lines of code to run a stored procedure.  I used PowerBuilder many years ago, and they made all of the commonly required database tasks super easy.  Microsoft seems to try to make things as labor-intensive as possible.  Ok, enough ranting for now...

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply