Capturing Errors and RPC_Completed with Extended Events

• Hey all,

I'm fairly new to extended events and I'm hoping there is a simple answer to my question.

Here is the problem:

I have an existing EE setup that captures all failing queries (see code below). The problem is that I also want to somehow capture RPC_starting so that I can see which parameters are passed in whenever a query fails. Is there a way to somehow capture those two events (error_reported & rpc_starting), but only capture rpc_starting when there is actually an error reported?

Or maybe just an event on rpc_starting and somehow filter to only capture when there is an error?

Any help is appreciated.

Existing error_reported EE code:

CREATE EVENT SESSION [what_queries_are_failing] ON SERVER ADD EVENT sqlserver.error_reported (

ACTION(sqlserver.sql_text, sqlserver.tsql_stack, sqlserver.database_id, sqlserver.session_id,

package0.collect_system_time, sqlserver.transaction_id, sqlserver.username, sqlserver.client_hostname)

WHERE (

(

[severity] > (10)

AND [package0].[counter] <= (1000)

)

)

) ADD TARGET package0.asynchronous_file_target (

SET filename = 'D:\RDBMS\DBA_SCRIPTS\what_queries_are_failing.xel'

,metadatafile = 'D:\RDBMS\DBA_SCRIPTS\what_queries_are_failing.xem'

,max_file_size = 5

,max_rollover_files = 5

)

WITH (

MAX_MEMORY = 4096 KB

,EVENT_RETENTION_MODE = ALLOW_SINGLE_EVENT_LOSS

,MAX_DISPATCH_LATENCY = 5 SECONDS

,MAX_EVENT_SIZE = 0 KB

,MEMORY_PARTITION_MODE = NONE

,TRACK_CAUSALITY = OFF

,STARTUP_STATE = OFF

)

ALTER EVENT SESSION [what_queries_are_failing] ON SERVER STATE = START

Edit: Changed rpc_completed to rpc_starting

Twitter: @SQL_JGood
    Blog: sqljgood.wordpress.com/[/url]

• RPC_Completed will only fire if there are no errors

Do you not need to put RPC_started?

Chris

• You are correct. It should be RPC_Starting.

• This probably isn't ideal, but I think it could work. You could either add a second EE session or a second target to your existing EE session using the Pair Matching target. Then you'd have a starting event that doesn't have a corresponding completed event in the pair matching target whenever you have an error. Here's a blog post[/url] about using the Pair Matching target

• Thanks Jack. I might give that a try and let you know if it works.

• and did it work? I have been trying to get it to work without success. (pair matching)

• Unfortunately, I never gave the pair matching idea a try. Luckily, the developers found the parameters causing the failures in the application log so the EE wasn't needed anymore.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply