Capture FTP Error via OnError in SSIS

• Does anyone know how to capture the descriptive error message from the FTP task in SQL 2005 SSIS?

I have an OnError handler at the package level which inserts the global variables into an SQL Table. I get a message from the failed FTP task, but not the descriptive message that shows up in the console log.

DTEXEC is called with /REPORTING E

The FTP user does not have rights to delete the file (this is a test case to ensure that the logging works before we go live with the SSIS package).

The console log is as follows:

Started: 1:20:07 PM

Error: 2008-06-16 13:20:11.59

Code: 0xC001602A

Source: FTPDeleteFiles Connection manager "FTPSource"

Description: An error occurred in the requested FTP operation. Detailed error

description: 550 /DirectoryHere/filenamehere.txt: Access is denied.

The attempt to delete file "\DirectoryHere\filenamehere.txt" failed. This may occur when the file does not exist, the file name was spelled incorrectly, or you do not have permissions to delete the file.

End Error

Error: 2008-06-16 13:20:11.62

Code: 0xC002918E

Source: Delete Remote Files FTP Task

Description: Unable to delete remote files using "FTPSource".

End Error

Error: 2008-06-16 13:20:11.67

Code: 0x00000004

Source: Fail Package

Description: The Script returned a failure result.

End Error

DTExec: The package execution returned DTSER_FAILURE (1).

Started: 1:20:07 PM

Finished: 1:20:11 PM

Elapsed: 3.985 seconds

The bold text above shows what gets logged by the OnError handler.

How do you get the "Access Denied" error information?

(nb. Turning on Logging to a text file also doesn't capture the Access Denied message. It only shows in the console output.)

• Did you find a solution? I have the same problem.

• I never did find a solution. I capture the output from the package execution and store that for diagnostics if the ftp step reports an error.

There are third party options, but I didn't have the funding options to use them.

• I've not used the FTP task, but you may consider setting up your FTPs to be run by an Exectue Process task. The Execute Process Task allows you to get th standard error output into a package variable.

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply