Cant login after installing MSDE

• Hi all

I've been using MSDE with my WinXP Pro installation for quite some time without a problem. I use this for practice work.

I also have a Win 2k Pro installation which i have been using the full version of SQL Server 2000 on, with visual studio.net.

My course requires me to use MSDE however (unfortunately), and I am wanting to do this on my Win 2000 installation.

I uninstalled SQL Server 2000, and restarted the computer.

I then installed MSDE, ran set up from command line and set up an sa password with SQL security mode. After this I installed Web Data Administrator and again restarted the computer.

My problem: I cannot log in.

I try to log in as sa, but it just hangs at the log in screen, no error message, just the hourglass and it seemingly trying to log in. I've left this for 10 minutes just in case it was slow first time around, but its just not working.

I didnt have any problems installing and running MSDE under Win XP, so I'm going to assume this could be a problem with me previously having used SQL Server on here.

Others in my class though have been able to successfully uninstall SQL Server 2000 then install MSDE without a problem.

Im desperate to fix this up, so any help here would be great.

thanks

• First thing to check, are you sure that the MSDE is running?  Second thing, make sure your account is a local admin on the workstation and try to log in with Windows authentication.

Aunt Kathi Data Platform MVP
    Author of Expert T-SQL Window Functions
    Simple-Talk Editor

• MSDE installs itself by default to use Windows Integrated Security only.

If you need to access MSDE using Mixed Security Mode you have to change Registry Setting :

HKLM/Software/Microsoft/MSSQLServer/MSSQLServer/LoginMode

From value 1 to value 2.

HABIB.

Kindest Regards,

Habib Zmerli (MVP)

• Resolving this kind of problem can really suck.  Here are a few suggestions:

1.  Try to log on via OSQL using your sa user and password.  If you get a "...not associated with a trusted connection" message then you are in NT Authentication and not Mixed Mode so you will need to use Habib's suggestion.

2.  Run C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\svrnetcn.exe to make sure the appropriate protocols are enabled

3.  Create an ODBC driver pointed at the master database and see if you get a successful test.

4.  Check the SQL Errorlog for any errors and to confirm the port where MSDE is listening (typically 1433).

5.  Download the TCPView tool from http://www.sysinternals.com and make sure sqlservr.exe is really listening on the port the Errorlog says.  (I've seen a couple of REALLY weird situations here!)

6.  Download the port query tool from Microsoft to test whether the port where MSDE is listening actually responds.

Hope this helps.

Don

• i will try those things rookie

but when i installed it i ran the command prompt which specified that I want to use SQL Security mode.

Also, I installed it the exact same way under XP and it worked fine..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply