Can't find error message when trigger fires

• Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help us. We have a trigger that fires off a stored procedure using dynamic SQL. It is getting this generic error message and I haven't been able to find the true cause of the error. The odd thing is that I can run the dynamic SQL without the trigger and it works just fine. The other issue is that I'd like it to end gracefully and not throw an error if it doesn't work. Any thought?

This is the error message.

The current transaction cannot be committed and cannot support operations that write to the log file. Roll back the transaction.

Msg 3609, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

The transaction ended in the trigger. The batch has been aborted.

Here is the trigger code:

ALTER TRIGGER SAADownload_trigger ON StateCompletion

FOR UPDATE, Insert

AS

SET NOCOUNT ON

IF ( UPDATE(Finalized))

BEGIN

declare @updSubgrantdetailID int,

@finalizedbit,

@spnamevarchar(50),

@spname2varchar(50),

@SQLTextvarchar(200),

@procExistsint

Select @finalized = Finalized from inserted

IF @finalized = 1

BEGIN

select @updSubgrantdetailID = subgrantdetailID from inserted

set @spname = 'bjareports.dbo.sp_FGN' + cast(@updSubGrantDetailID as varchar(10)) + 'Download'

set @spname2 = 'sp_FGN' + cast(@updSubGrantDetailID as varchar(10)) + 'Download'

Select @procExists = count(*)

from bjareports.sys.procedures

where NAME = @spname2

If @procExists > 0

BEGIN

BEGIN TRY

set @SqlText = 'Exec ' + @spname

EXEC(@SQLText)

END TRY

BEGIN CATCH

IF XACT_STATE() = 1

BEGIN

COMMIT TRAN

END

ELSE

BEGIN

ROLLBACK TRAN

print ERROR_MESSAGE()

END

END CATCH

END

END

END

• Before we get to your problem, be advised that your trigger is written to handle only one row even if the StateCompletion table is made to suffer an update on more than one row at a time.

Also, there's no BEGIN TRANSACTION in the trigger and the only way you enter the CATCH block is if there's an error. Therefor, there's no need to COMMIT anything. Remove the COMMIT block from the CATCH block because you're trying to commit an un-commit-able transaction.

The only time the ROLLBACK in the CATCH block should be executed (remember... you only enter the CATCH block if there's an error) is when IF XACT_STATE() = 1 or -1 or <> 0 (the safest method IMHO).

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Ooops! Thank you, Jeff. I just added that catch/try and I forgot the begin tran. But even when I add it, I'm still getting the error. I feel like the trigger is somehow hiding the real error message with the generic one. I want to find what is causing the error and also we could like the error to not abend the ongoing process after the trigger completes. I just want to find a way to gracefully exist.

• So take the commit out of the Catch Block. If you really want to use an explicit transaction in the trigger code, do the commit at the end of the Try Block.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply