Can't Connect to Server

• I have installed Developer Edition and restored my databases from another computer. Then I tried unsuccessfully to get ColdFusion to connect to the server. While doing this I changed some settings and now when I try to use Windows Authentication to connect I get the error:

TITLE: Connect to Server

------------------------------

Cannot connect to DESKTOP-8KNN91Q.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The client was unable to establish a connection because of an error during connection initialization process before login. Possible causes include the following: the client tried to connect to an unsupported version of SQL Server; the server was too busy to accept new connections; or there was a resource limitation (insufficient memory or maximum allowed connections) on the server. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - No process is on the other end of the pipe.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 233)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=233&LinkId=20476

No process is on the other end of the pipe

BUTTONS:

OK

If I try to connect using SQL Server Authentication I get the error:

TITLE: Connect to Server

Cannot connect to DESKTOP-8KNN91Q.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - No process is on the other end of the pipe.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 233)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=233&LinkId=20476

No process is on the other end of the pipe

In SQL Server Configuration Manager I have all three places where these things can be set Shared Memory and TCP/IP set to enabled (ColdFusion says this must be enabled, but it still couldn't connect after I enabled it) and Named Pipes set to Disabled.

If I follow the Help link from the error messages above, I am directed to a page that tells me to use SQL Server Surface Area Configuration Tool, but since this is only available once you have connected, this advice is not much use.

Can anybody help me to get my connection back?

Doug

• Quick question, is this a named instance?

😎

• No, I chose default instance during installation.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply