Cannt setup/write to SAN

• I'm trying to setup SQL Server 2000 (running on Windows Server 2003) to write to a SAN Drive (running Windows 2000 Professional) but I can only see the local C:\ drive. I have tried to uninstalled and reinstalled SQL to change the data repository setting to read the SAN Drive but I still could only see the local C:\ drive.

Any suggestions or help would be appriciated, Thanks - Meredith

• Meredith,

When you say SAN, is it a FC fabric that you are connecting through or iSCSI or is it just regular TCP? The 2000 box that is the front end for the storage area, is it a front for a LUN or is it just local disks?

I am doing the same thing but with a dual FC fabric connecting to a LUN and have ran into some similiar issues.

-Ron

• Ron,

It is connecting through TCP and the 2000 box is a front end to local disks.

Thanks, Meredith

• Did you set up on the 2003 box a mapped drive that is pointing to the 2000 shared volume? I didn't see you mention that you did and am just trying to clarify where you are at.

I would make sure that this is indeed set up correctly and that you can access the mapped drive from the 2003 box. If the permissions are set correctly, you should be able to see the drive letter to assign for your storage repositiry. I am not certain, but you may or maynot see the drive letter in the drop down if say you have SQL service starting with account x and that account does not have permissions to the share on the 2000 machine.

-Ron

• The 2000 server box is mapped, I can see it in explorer and my computer. I was even able to copy something into it using exporer. SQL just can't see it...

Thanks - Meredith

• If your SQL box is part of a cluster, go into Cluster Administrator, right click the properties for the SQL Server resource and make it dependent on all disks you want SQL to see.  I think you have to restart the SQL services after doing this.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply