Cannot Restart SQL Server Service

• Hello,

I executed SHUTDOWN WITH NOWAIT on a particular 'test' instance of SQL Server 2000 Enterprize Eval called 'MSSQL$FOURTHINSTALL', and I cannot restart the SQL Server service from the services manager or the O/S services area. I tried to shut down and restart the computer with 'AutoStart' selected in the services manager, no luck.

When I attempt to restart the service, I get the following message:

"Could not start the MSSQL$FOURTHINSTALL service on Local Computer. The service did not return an error. This could be an internal Windows error or an internal service error. If the problem persisits, contact your system administrator."

Should I be able to restart the service, or could there really be something wrong with SQL Server?

Thanks.

CSDunn

• Did you check the SQL logs located under 'management' in Enterprise Manager? You may be able to idenify what happened by looking at what SQL Server logged before and after you executed the shut down command.

• The inability to make a connection to that instance of SQL Server is preventing me from looking in the 'Management' section of that instance.

• Yes, I guess that would make sense. There is also an error log file that you can view using note pad. it will be located in your MSSQL directory where you installed SQL Server. It should be the same as the SQL Log.

• Well, the log clearly says that the eval period has expired. I didn't expect the cause of the problem to be so easy to find. Thanks. cd.

• Check to make sure where your system databases got installed. If the system files are located in different directory, you have to move them where the errorlog or event logs says.

Hope this helps to start the service.

Rearasi.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply