Cannot register server in AS

• I am trying to help an end-user with Analysis Services, but have no experience with it. The user recently received a new desk top and asked me for the software to install SQL2000 client and Analysis Services. I provided them with the software and they installed the products. I helped them to register the server they need in Enterprise Manager and they can access it. When they tried to register the server in Analysis Manager they got "Network Error [internal error]". One thing to note is that they could not ping the server by servername, but could by IP. I had them try to register the server by IP, but they got the same error. I checked the OLAP administrators group where the cubes reside and the user is not in it. I am hesitant to add them as they were apparently not in it before either and were able to access the data needed from their old computer. What would putting them in the OLAP administrators group allow them to do? They do not want to be able to change the data and cubes, they just want to view it. I tried adding them to the OLAP administrators group temporarily to see if that is what the issue was, but then they recevied error "Cannot connect to the analysis server on IP address, Connection to the server is lost." Any ideas? Please help as I am not familiar with AS.

• The OLAP Administrators group is for Creating dimensions and cubes.  Users are added to Roles to access a OLAP database.  

Your problem is a network one.  It will be caused by not being able to ping the server by name.  Fixing the DNS entry should fix the problem.  OLAP uses port 2725.  Telnet to this port on that server to verify the OLAP is listening.

I assume version 2000 and a default instance.

• Also make sure that the client has been updated to the same level of service pack that the server is currently on.  Note that the service packs of SQL and AS are two (2) different installs, having done the SQL one does not bring the AS to the same level.

Steve.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply