Cannot Install SQLServer 2005

• Hi All.

I have just upgraded my database server PC from an Athlon 3.2 Ghz to a Phenom X3 and tried to re-install the Server software. During the install I get to the place where the installer tries to start the MSSql Server service and I then get a 'Failure to start Service' message and the installer rolls back the server installation.

The environment is:

AMD Phenom X3 2300, 4Gb memory 500Gb HD. OS is XP Pro fully updated to latest SP. This software environment is identical to the one on the previous working server, and the version is the Developer standard edition which should work (and did) on XP. The problem may be related to the use of the Phenom as an idea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Dave Tunmore

BR DaveT

• Hi,

Does the event log list an thing in relation to the service being unable to start?

Thanks.

• Hi There

Thanks for your response.

I have scanner the various logs, but I cannot find anything obvious. I am not in my office until Friday, but I could send the logs across then.

Best Regards,

DaveT

BR DaveT

• If you could that would be great.

I'd be surprised if the processor was causing the issue, it's an AMD and i've never heard of any issue with that.

The failed to start service almost sounds like a permissions issue. You could check that the account the service is running as is active and the correct name and password have been provided to it.

When you get back into your office send over the logs if possible and we can take it from there.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply