Cannot Execute SQL Configuration Manager

• I have several SQL instances running on my development computer. One for SQL2008R@ (64), two for SQL2012 (64), and one for SQL2014 (64). I am running Windows 10. These SQL versions are all for 64 bit OS. I recently installed the second 2012 version for a project and now I cannot execute SQL Configuration Manager on any version. I am getting this message: Cannot connect to WMI provider. You do not have permission or the server is unreachable. Note that you can only manage SQL Server 2005 and later servers with SQL Server Configuration Manager. Invalid class [0x80041010]. I also got a slightly different message another time with error code [0x80041013]. I do not have any 32 bit SQL servers on this machine and have never installed a 32 bit server on this machine. I have tried all the published methods to try to fix this -- specifically I have already executed these commands:

mofcomp "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof"

mofcomp "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof"

mofcomp "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof"

Any ideas before I attempt to uninstall and reinstall my development environment?

SQL itself is working fine. Just the configuration manager will not fire. Thx for your replies. Jean

• It is possible that you need to configure a firewall exception:

computer configuration>administrative templates>network>network connections>windows firewall>domain policy

"allow remote administrative exceptions"enabled, allow unsolicited incoming messages from: "localsubnet"

This policy opens TCP-ports 135 and 445 for WMI a.o.. ICMP-reply is sent, even when the appropriate policy blocks this!

Or you may encounter the version incompatibility I explain here: http://finn.rivendel.be/?e=33

There's also this connect item: https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/1070235

• Thanks for the info. I'm not on a Windows Server so the domain / firewall settings don't apply here (at least I don't think they do). Regarding the version incompatibility I believe that's where the issue is. I will be uninstalling SQL and reinstalling to see if this resolves the problem. Jean

• Thinking out loud... Is it possible that this is because you've installed an earlier version of the software (SQL2012) after installing SQL2014? I have vague memories of having similar problems when building this sort of configuration in the past.

I don't remember there being an easy cure, either, other than scragging the machine and starting over - fortunately I was in an environment where that was an option.

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• Even though I had successfully installed an older SQL version after 2014 (2008R2 and the first instance of 2012) without issue, I believe that you are correct. This is very likely a version incompatibility. I installed 2014 to check it out with a program I'm writing and realized that my version of Visual Studio would not support SQL 2014 so I dropped back to 2008 and then later had to put in 2012 because a client had a backup from a 2012 SQL server. Regardless, it's just the time that I regret having to spend. I will preserve my data and bite the bullet. What a pain to have to reinstall.

• I wonder if it is possible the Windows shortcuts are not loading the correct MMC snap-ins after one of the installs. If you manually open up mmc.exe and add all the SQL Server Configuration Manager snap-ins showed do one of them work and show you services installed?

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

• Thank you for the idea but when I do that, mmc runs but as soon as I try to open the SQLServerManager12.msc file, it fails.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply