Cannot connect to SSIS in 2005 Management Studio

• Hi all,
    When i try to connect the SSIS in Management Studio, the Server name just blank, I entry the host name and instance name just like other services(which are working fine), an error window pup up "Cannot Connect to ...."
    The SSIS is working fine in BI studio.
    any idea?
    TIA
    Patrick

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• The SSIS service is not used in BIDS so the fact that everything works fine in BIDS is irrelevant.

The SSIS service is not instance aware. So, just enter the name of the server (witout an instance name). You will still have to tell the SSIS Service which SQL erver instance to cnenct to tho cos that is where it stores packages. Instructions are here: http://sqljunkies.com/WebLog/knight_reign/archive/2005/06/08/15765.aspx

-Jamie

• Jamie,

I had high hopes when I saw your post / link. I tried it to connect to SSIS on our web server using both .\servername and just plain servername, restarting the SSIS service both times, but I still get a 'Failed to retrieve data for this request. ... The RPC server is unavailable.' error. What am I missing?

Thanks. 

• Thanks for the reply. However, i couldn't find the file which's mentioned in the link above. Also, I couldn't get the error message such as '.. RPC server is unavailable'.

Patrick

• Patrick,

If the file (MsDtsSrvr.ini.xml) isn't where Kirk's blog post says it should be then you haven't installed SSIS.

-Jamie

• Hi Jamie,

For sure, I installed the SSIS and i can use the BS Development Studio.

Thanks,

Patrick

• Being able to use BIDS does NOT mean that SSIS is installed. BIDS gets installed when you select the Client Tools option during install. SSIS is a seperate option.

Do a search on your machine for dtexec.exe. If its not there then you have not installed SSIS.

-Jamie

• Yes, I installed SSIS, and i am able to find DTExec.EXE in the installation folder. I have developed several packages in BIDS actually.

Thanks,

Patrick

• OK cool. And can you find "MsDtsSrvr.ini.xml"? if its not there then something is amiss - perhaps a faulty install??? I'm afraid I don't have the answer.

-Jamie

• I couldn't find the MsDtsSrvr.ini.xml.

Thank you anyway!

Patrick

• Strange!

I can only guess at a faulty install. Sorry I can't help more!

-Jamie

• Did you check to see if you can see SQL Server Integration Services in the SQL Server Configuration Manager? If you can see the service, make sure it is running. Otherwise, you have not installed Integration Services. BIDS is part of the Client Tools installation and is not dependent on you installing the IS Service on the machine.

Rushabh Mehta

SQL Server MVP
    Solid Quality Learning

• Have been hitting same issue with a developer on a test server. Appears to be related to db server access - when I elevated the users auth to local admin on the server he could connect in remotely. I knocked him down to a user on the database server and he could not connect. :w00t: Looking for a happy medium at this point.

• You need to add the users to msdtsserver in DCOM in componenet services. They need rights to connect and launch remotely. Also, you need to make sure port 3882 (or whatever endpoint port you use) is open on your firewall.

The SSIS server is configured for local access by default. You have to

configure it to be accessed remotely from Component Services. Here is what you have to do:

1. Click Start | Administrative Tools | Component Services.

2. Expand Component Services | Computers | My Computer | DCOM Config.

3. Right-click MsDtsServer and choose Properties.

4. On Security tab select Customize under Launch and Activation Permissions.

Click Edit.

5. Add a domain account.

6. Select the Remote Activation permission to allow user to access service

remotely.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply