cannot connect to local server

• HI friends,

i have just installed SQL Server 2005 on my machine and it has installed with all tools and finished set up.

I have tried to open Management Studio and tried to connect to local server but it gives following error.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Cannot connect to local.

An error has occured while establishing a connection to ther server. When connecting to SQL Server 005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL server does not allow remote connections (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 3)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

My computer name is - HOME.

I dont have any experience with the set up of SQL server as i m developer and never installed it.

Can you please help me to solve this error?

thanks,

vijay

• Hi,

Check your firewall settings and ensure that port 1433 is enabled by default.

Which edition of SQL server are you using??

Follow this link which would help you:

http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2007/04/23/sql-server-fix-error-40-could-not-open-a-connection-to-sql-server/

• Go to sql server 2005 surface area configuration.

and check remote connections are set up ....using tcp/ip and named pipes.

If that not work on the actual computer you set up the administration to allow remote connections to come in

• Thanks tracey.

I have tried to open surface area configuration and it gives following error.

No SQL Server 2005 components were found on the specified computer. Either no components are installed, or you are not an administrator on this computer. (SQLSAC).

I am admin on my machine as it is installed on my local machine at home. how to check whether components required is installed or not?

thanks,

vijay

• Hi Krishna,

I have enterprise edition of SQL Server 2005. I have Windows VISTA Home premiem. Is it problem to install SQL on Vista Home?

thanks,

vijay

• Right click on services and see what account it is set to and log in with this account.

• Sorry which services and where?

• Under Run type services.msc and under the services console chek fr SQL Server service...

Mj

• I dont think it should make any difference but did u go through the link which i have mentioned in the previous post that should resolve your problem and also check for instance you are connecting to.

If it is a named instance check whether shared memory is enabled or not however, this should be by default

• Sorry i cant see SQL Services under services. There should be something missing and i cant just figure it out.

• Hi,

It sounds like very nasty problem and the reasons it happens are so many!

Look at these threads because I think they are similar to yours and a lot of people posted different solutions:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic529038-146-1.aspx

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic473222-146-1.aspx

• you will need to install either SQL2005 express or developer. Enterprise and standard are for server systems only

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Sorry what you mean by this?

you will need to install either SQL2005 express or developer. Enterprise and standard are for server systems only

• ooops...I did not realise this before...;) ...thts right...enterprise is only for server systems...check the requirements for SQL 2005 minimum requirements......

Microsoft Windows 2000 Server with Service Pack (SP) 4 or later; Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition, or Datacenter Edition with SP 1 or later; Windows Small Business Server 2003 with SP 1 or later; Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition, or Datacenter Edition

• Here, this page has the minimum requirements that are needed for installing different Editions of SQL Server 2005

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506(SQL.90).aspx

🙂

-Hope is a heuristic search :smooooth: ~Hemanth

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply