Cannot configure SQL Server

• Due to updates to a database which was marked for transactional replication, I disabled the server as publisher and distribution. It seamed to work OK, SQL server reported that it was no longer distributor or publisher.

When I try to reconfigure the server as distributor I get the following error:

SQL Server Enterprise Manager could not configure xxx as the distributor xxx .

Error 5170: Cannot create file 'J:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\distribution.ldf' because it already exists.

CREATE DATABASE failed. Some files names listed could not be created. Check previous errors.

I found out that distribution.ldf is automatic created when the SQL server starts (I have tried to stop SQL Server, remove the file distribution.ldf and then start SQL server again, distribution.ldf is recreated), but there is no distribution.mdf.

How do I get rid of distribution.ldf?

I also discovered that the table MSReplication_options still exists in the master table, I think it should disappear when you disable replication. Can this table be deleted?

I would appreciate any suggestion

Thanks,

Bo Lausten-Thomsen

• yes u drop it

• Thanks.

I dropped the table, stopped SQL Server, deleted the file distribution.ldf, restarted SQL Server and the file distribution.ldf reappeared (still no distribution.mdf) so the problem still exists.

Bo Lausten-Thomsen

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply