Can you create 2 Availability Group (Listeners) to separate a 2 database sets ?

• Hi,

Has anyone tried to build a SQL server that has 2 Availability Groups, each with its own Listener (IP), and configure in such a way that :

* if a client connects to AG1 using IP1 it can only see and access the DB's in AG1

* and make it impossible if a client connects to IP2 to see or connect to any of the databases of AG1?

I know i can make the databases inaccessible by assigning differrents rights to UserAG1 / UserAG2 accounts, but if someone makes a mistake mistake and fumbles the User/AG combo in a connectionstring it is possible to login to a AG2 database using the AG1 endpoint.

I guess once the connection to an endpoint made it is global to the entire SQL instance.

I have been juggling AG's IP's and endpoints for some time now and cant get the separation i want without resorting to 🙂

Greets,

Theo

• I don't think it's possible. Though AG is at database level, the listener always connects to primary replica.

• So it seems.... Alas!

• The listener always connects to the primary replica and based on the user connecting dictates the view they will see

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply