Can we use a specific network for backup copy process in log shipping?

• Hi friends,

How can we ensure that the backup copy process uses a specific network to copy the log backup files to secondary servers?

Suppose , if in our environment we have 2 networks N1 & N2 available between primary & secondary servers, how can we specify that the copy process must use network N1?

Any help is appreciated 🙂

Sujeet Singh

• what IP ranges do you have assigned to the NICs, what IP are you copying backups out to?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (4/10/2012)

what IP ranges do you have assigned to the NICs, what IP are you copying backups out to?

Hi Perry,

Right now I am looking for the possibilities of copying the backups on a specific network. I mean I am not sure if it is possible or not.

As of now we are considering providing 2-2 IPs to both primary & secondary. One for the network A you can say & other for network B.

Really appreciate your help 🙂

Sujeet Singh

• So, if you have a public network connection with IP 192.168.1.30 and a secondary backup network with IP 10.10.10.30 and you copy backups to the backup server whose IP is 10.10.10.3 which network do you think it will use? 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Perry Whittle (4/10/2012)

So, if you have a public network connection with IP 192.168.1.30 and a secondary backup network with IP 10.10.10.30 and you copy backups to the backup server whose IP is 10.10.10.3 which network do you think it will use? 😉

I guess it will use backup network only, am I right :-)? If yes, can we provide the names also for the server instead of IP after making the different DNS entries for those IPs?

Sujeet Singh

• Divine Flame (4/10/2012)

Perry Whittle (4/10/2012)

So, if you have a public network connection with IP 192.168.1.30 and a secondary backup network with IP 10.10.10.30 and you copy backups to the backup server whose IP is 10.10.10.3 which network do you think it will use? 😉

I guess it will use backup network only, am I right :-)? If yes, can we provide the names also for the server instead of IP after making the different DNS entries for those IPs?

Yes, you'll be able to use dns resolution

• Thanks a lot perry, got it 🙂

Sujeet Singh

• you'll need to work with your domainetwork admins to ensure everything is set up correctly

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply