Can we save backup and copy files location same in Logshipping process

• We have space issue on Prod server.

I tested it we can save backup files and copy files on the same drive but what are the difficulties which we will facing in future? We can set the retention job on backup process on the primary to a big number and keep the retention process on the secondary server a minimum of 26 hrs which will save lot of space for us.

• deep_kkumar (5/15/2012)

We have space issue on Prod server.

I tested it we can save backup files and copy files on the same drive but what are the difficulties which we will facing in future? We can set the retention job on backup process on the primary to a big number and keep the retention process on the secondary server a minimum of 26 hrs which will save lot of space for us.

What are "copy files"? Secondary server on a Prod server?

There's not really enough information to know what your problem is. Can you explain in more detail what you problem is?

• In logshipping........we save backup files on primary server and then copy these files to secondary server and then restore on the secondary server.

So my question was instead of saving it on primary server and copying the backup files to the secondary server. Can we give a same location to save the backup files and restore from the same location ?

• deep_kkumar (5/15/2012)

In logshipping........we save backup files on primary server and then copy these files to secondary server and then restore on the secondary server.

So my question was instead of saving it on primary server and copying the backup files to the secondary server. Can we give a same location to save the backup files and restore from the same location ?

You could give the same location, yes. I would then just disable the copy job.

• Thanks !!

What about the retention period of saving the backup files and copy files? We also have to take care of this issue? If the backup files are removed before restore we will have issues.

• Sorry, I got it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply