can we modify system tables in SQL Server 2000?

• Sergiy (9/28/2007)

Hope you did not miss this statements:

"Updating fields in system tables can prevent an instance of Microsoft® SQL Server™ from running or can cause data loss. "

"On production systems, you should not enable allow updates except under the direction of Microsoft Product Support Services."

I gave you that answer straight away.

It's nobody's fault you did not get it.

What if I just want to delete orphaned users in sysusers and i enabled the "allow updates" then disabled it after deleting the orphaned user?Am I doing a very risky thing? what possible disaster may occur?

"-=Still Learning=-"

Lester Policarpio

• Lester Policarpio (10/1/2007)[hr

What if I just want to delete orphaned users in sysusers and i enabled the "allow updates" then disabled it after deleting the orphaned user?Am I doing a very risky thing? what possible disaster may occur?

You're doing an extremely risky thing. That's exactly what my collegues were doing that lead to my having to fix unowned tables.

That said, any direct modification of the system tables is risking problems.

May I suggest sp_revokedbaccess if the user needs to be removed, or sp_change_users_login if the user needs to be mapped to a different login?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks for the info guys 😀

"-=Still Learning=-"

Lester Policarpio

• What if I just want to delete orphaned users in sysusers and i enabled the "allow updates" then disabled it after deleting the orphaned user?Am I doing a very risky thing? what possible disaster may occur?

In 2004, we thought the same thing... involved an IS NULL... went to update 1500 customers WHERE somecolumnname IS NULL... code had been tested in "cloned server" and it worked just fine... SQL Server had a fault in it... if a certain type of parallelism formed with the right # of CPU's along with just the right indexes, the WHERE somecolumnname IS NULL was ignored. DBA's hadn't checked backup viability in weeks and, of course, they had been failing all over the place. The IS NULL in the update was ignored because of the MS fault and 800 THOUSAND customers were updated... no one knew until we tried to invoice them. Took 40 people 3 days to rebuild the data from pieces of other databases.

What possible disaster may occur? Something could go wrong... something like the above, or maybe you get in a hurry and forget some criteria and also didn't do a BEGIN TRANSACTION at the start of your change. Maybe you update a column that has one of those lovely "undocumented features" associated with it that'll train-wreck your DB. Dunno... I just wouldn't take the chance.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Halloween bug?

• Heh... maybe... it did turn our shining carriage into a pumkin...:D

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• We should have a best comeback constest... this one would start as a favorite :P.

• Nah... we'd loose the audiance between comebacks just like we did on this one 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• I'm still part of the audiance, and I think we should get another recall :).

• Heh... I'm old... I've got no "recall" left until I've had about 20 coffees (if I recall correctly) 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Now the magic is gone... We should have stopped while we were ahead! 😉

• GilaMonster (10/1/2007)

Lester Policarpio (10/1/2007)[hr

You're doing an extremely risky thing. That's exactly what my collegues were doing that lead to my having to fix unowned tables.

That said, any direct modification of the system tables is risking problems.

May I suggest sp_revokedbaccess if the user needs to be removed, or sp_change_users_login if the user needs to be mapped to a different login?

Thanks thats exactly what I need 😀

"-=Still Learning=-"

Lester Policarpio

• Your Dev want to touch the system tables too?

• Heh... already are... hardcore DBA just wouldn't allow this.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply