Can we have multiple instances running on SQL server 2014

• Hello All,

I've a SQL server 2014 setup on a server recently. Can I add a new(second) instance to the SQL server (already running one instance)? Any help/documentation is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Yes, you may have 1 default instance and multiple named instances. I'd start here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd692930(v=sql.10).aspx.

• Yes, and it's common to have machines with multiple instances. When you run the setup you have the option to add a new instance. You can have multiple instances of the DB engine, SSRS, SSIS, SSAS, Full Text... There just needs to be unique name for each instance and you can connect to it by connecting to <server name>/<instance name>.

You will also notice in Services that each instance of SQL Server get's it's own executable/service. You'll see SQL Server Agent (<instance name>), SQL Server (<instance name>), etc for each instance that you have added.

There are "shared features" too, that are common to all instances on a specific server - things such as Management Tools, Distributed replay...

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply